Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd March 2009, 03:25 AM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default Please no posts or discussions on live auctions

Well, again it seems necessary to make another desperate attempt to bring everybody up to speed.....we cant post or discuss live auctions and with specific reasons.
If you are posting illustrations that are not your own, please cite the source. Most everybody already knows this, and I think we all do well at complying, but newer members need to know the rules too.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 11:38 AM   #2
Norman McCormick

Hi Jim,
Can you just clarify the the rules a bit. By 'live auction' I presume you mean an ongoing internet auction where bidding is in process. An auction that has not yet commenced e.g. a local event where I could go along take some photos of an item of interest then post it and ask opinions before the actual auction day, is that permissible, or what about a "Bonhams" auction where I can view items on the net, their photos, can I drag pictures off their site and ask opinions here before the that auction actually takes place? Just want to get things clear.
My Regards,
Norman.
Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 05:23 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Norman,
Thank you so much for answering! I have been concerned that this particular aspect of our endeavors here has suffered certain complacency in some cases, and in the cases of new members unfamiliar with such necessary guidelines , inadvertant errors.

The reason we do not discuss live auction items...which include any auction whether online or not, any such event which is officially organized and its catalogued or listed items. I should think that this should be interpreted on the broader side for any other variations as well.

The reason for this is that this forum is publicly broadcast media, in our case quite intensely international also. Open discussion of these items that might entail negative comments or criticism which might influence the outcome of the sale of that item, could result in unfortunate and possibly even legal repurcussions.

Obviously, it is prudent for individuals to seek information as well as experienced or corroborating opinions on items, but these communications should be handled privately, not broadcast here. I think our network of knowledge and experience here is well established, and private messages would reach anyone who is clearly specialized.

Naturally we all want to learn more on these items which are often gratefully acquired through these means, and I know that I personally look forward to each new conquest that shows up here!!

Regardless, we often see items posted on these forums when the auction has closed, and we welcome the discussion opportunity....remembering of course to cite the pertinant data.

Thank you very much for your question on this, which gave me the opportunity to, I hope, explain in more detail.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote