Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Classifieds > Swap Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd January 2009, 07:16 AM   #1
Gavin Nugent

Default WANTED SWORD STAND

WANTED

Sword stand to hold a single sword only, double will be considered also any ethniographical region stand will be considered too.

Some thing nice, old and relativley plain and in fair to good condition will suffice.

Email any items of interest to

tedsgoldmine@optusnet.com.au

thanks

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 02:28 AM   #2
rand

Just by some 2x4 lumber, make a few cuts, fit it to hold a sword, paint it black and put some leather where the slot is to hold your sword. Very easy to do and can look surprisingly good too...

There are also usually sword stand available on ebay, some of the rose wood ones from Hong Kong are very nice....

rand
rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 05:06 AM   #3
Gavin Nugent

Default Thanks Rand

Thanks Rand.

There is actually a little method to my madness.
A local dealer has an antique rosewood Chinese sword stand with a not for sale sign on it and a japanese sword sitting in it.
He has ear marked it for me if he ever decides to sell it but his reaons for not selling it are that swords display well in it and whre is he going to get another old sword stand from so I am appealing to the international community and I think with a period replacement of some calibre he will trade with me...it is one of those must haves, it actually matches a solid rosewood chinese chair I have here too so it will complete a nice picture for further displays around the house.

Still looking....

Gav
Old 25th January 2009, 03:16 PM   #4
ALEX

Just a further illustration to Rand's advice and a nice example of Middle-Eastern style sword stand. This one is made of wallnut with simple MOP inlay and surface wood carving.
A nice stand/rack would greatly improve a visual effect of any collection, so it pays to invest some time in making a better one.
Attached Images

ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 05:47 PM   #5
rand

Hey Gav,

On another note, have in the past picked up select hardwood from a wood specialty store and then had a cabinet maker build a sword stand for me. When they are made not to come apart for transport they are much easier to construct. The one I had made was from rosewood and ebony to hold four swords and was done in a style to go with my furniture which I also had made from rosewood, ebony and birdseye maple.

There are advantages to having one made, you can have the cut-out area designed to fit what you have. For example, a islamic sword will usually sit at an angle in a Japanese sword stand. While in a custome made stand the Islamic sword can sit upright and not be subject to slipping in the holder if bumped.

rand
rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 06:20 PM   #6
ALEX

Rand, you're absolutely right. It's better to custom make a stand to fit it for particular sword type. And it can be difficult to ensure the correct placement. A while ago Bill Marsh recommended a nice use of neodine magnets:
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...light=magnetic
The same concept can be used for horizontal placement. The magnet can be placed or carved in on the back side of the arm, and covered with strong thin layer of wood, so the magnet would attract the blade from the front/face side. It works so well, but one has to be Very careful with these magnets - they shatter on impact when attracted to each other - VERY Dangerous!!!
Old 25th January 2009, 09:34 PM   #7
Richard Furrer

[QUOTE=ALEX]Rand, you're absolutely right. It's better to custom make a stand to fit it for particular sword type. And it can be difficult to ensure the correct placement. A while ago Bill Marsh recommended a nice use of neodine magnets:
QUOTE]

I have some small tools stored on magnetic strips in the shop....now they are covered with fine steel powder from the air. Granted most of you do not have fine metal powder in the air, but I still see no reason to magnetize the blades.

Ric
Richard Furrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2009, 11:07 AM   #8
ALEX

Ric, can the magnetic capacity be passed from the magnet onto the metal? I do not think the magnet can "charge" the blade. Sure it projects through the metal while in contact, but what implications this can create for the blade in normal conditions, i.e. with no metal dust in the air:-)
Old 26th January 2009, 03:48 PM   #9
Lew
(deceased)

Gav

Take a look.

http://www.gunstands.com/knifswd.htm
Attached Images

Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 12:39 PM   #10
Gavin Nugent

Default WOW

Thanks everyone for the expert direction to a good many ideas on sword stands and the like. I may well make use of these in the future. For now I will focus on obtaining this old original I spoke of and modifying the Chinese cupboard too. Between the renos, the cupboard mods and a young family I should be pretty busy for some time.

Please keep your eyes peeled for my inital request.

Gav