Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th March 2008, 03:51 PM   #1
Mark

Question Dha handling during cutting

Paging Andrew, or anyone else who has tried cutting with a traditional short-tanged dha/daab.

I have read that the pressure-fit short tang is used because it reduces vibration when contact is made. Is it true that a dha/daab with a short tang vibrates less than a similarly-sized & shaped sword with a long or full tang?
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2008, 04:52 PM   #2
spiral

I have never cut with a dha Mark but to me short tang kukri offer less vibration or "hand shock" if cutting/chopping hard timber. Apparently not all users notice the differance, though.

I figure that probably makes a big differeance for a tool but not so much for a weapon? At least in relation to kukri.

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2008, 07:09 PM   #3
Mark

That makes sense. If the tang does not run through the whole handle there is no direct connection to the blade that would propagate the shock. It would be at least deadened in moving from the blade to the wood of the handle. I think what I read was in relation to its use as a general-purpose tool, in fact, rather than specifically as a weapon.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2008, 08:52 PM   #4
katana

Traditionally, when held one-handed, where would the hand grip the handle.... Towards the pommel end or near to the ferrule (blade) ?

I would have thought the positioning of the hand would also affect the vibration felt.

Instinctively, I grip near to the ferrule end .....so effectively my hand is around the tang as I feel that this is the safest placement to prevent the force of the strike ripping the tang through the rattan handle....maybe I'm being 'over cautious'

Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008, 04:55 AM   #5
Andrew

Honestly, Mark, I don't recall any significant difference between full tang and short, pressure fit tangs when making a good cut. Bad cuts (and there were plenty) felt horrible regardless of sword construction, but I wasn't paying particular attention to vibration differences.

I haven't cut with my dha for over a year--time to break them out again. My Muay Thai training partners have been pressuring me to bring some to the gym anyway.

When I get some time, I'll cut with a variety of different swords and will report back to you with my exceedingly unscientific observations of vibration.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008, 04:59 AM   #6
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana
Traditionally, when held one-handed, where would the hand grip the handle.... Towards the pommel end or near to the ferrule (blade) ?

I would have thought the positioning of the hand would also affect the vibration felt.

Instinctively, I grip near to the ferrule end .....so effectively my hand is around the tang as I feel that this is the safest placement to prevent the force of the strike ripping the tang through the rattan handle....maybe I'm being 'over cautious'

Regards David
It depends on the construction of the handle David. Some handles have clearly defined grip areas, and I hold them there. Usually those are more or less centered in the handle.

In the absence of such grips, I'll hold my swords close to the blade, as I prefer the balance there. Long handles generally inspire two-handed grips, but are only necessary/practical on swords with large blades as well.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008, 05:04 AM   #7
kahnjar1

Smile Battle use of the Dha

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana

Regards David
I have just got hold of a copy of the movie The Legend of Suriyothai. A Thai made historical movie, and the prolific use of Dha in battle and in ritual beheading, suggests that either the tang length was longer in those days or the short tang is quite sufficient. I DO realise that a certain amount of artistic licence was probably taken, but the Dha IS a weapon to be used.

Mark--if you have not seen this movie, I'm sure you will like it, as it shows PLENTY of Dha as well other Thai weapons such as pole arms.
Regards Stuart
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008, 06:56 PM   #8
katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
, and the prolific use of Dha in battle and in ritual beheading, suggests that either the tang length was longer in those days or the short tang is quite sufficient.
Thankyou Andrew for your reply..

The Dha I own, had a slightly loose blade and I was able to dismantle it....the tang is 4.5 inches (11.5 cms) on a blade 19.5 inches (nearly 50cms) which I understand is longer than usual (most seem to be 3.5" ...even on longer blades). Is there a possibillity that this is an very old blade ?

The resin used to fix Tulwar blades has shock absorbing qualities, but the relative large size of the void in the hilt (compared to the tang) means there is much more resin surrounding the tang. When compared to the more tightly fitted tang / handle void of the Dha..... so little help there with the possible vibration absorbtion via the 'fixative'.

The rattan handles would slightly flex as an object is struck, are the majority of truly functional Dha made from this material ?

Regards David
Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008, 07:11 AM   #9
PUFF

Location: 30 miles north of Bangkok, 20 miles south of Ayuthaya, Thailand

Tangs could be short or long. But, from what I notice from 100+ yo blade, they end up at the grip area.

The grip area traditionally "defined" at the midle of its hilt. But some modern construction blades come with huge moment of inertia. Then, martial artists, practitioners and also masters have to compensate by hold it a bit closer to its CG.

Here 's some pic of real cutting.
http://www.geocities.com/mooyim_9999/webpage/killer.htm
PUFF is offline   Reply With Quote