Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th January 2008, 09:48 AM   #1
dralin23

Default also some pictures....

hello all over the world...
some guys show in these forum there weapons , so i will show you also a part from my collection. if some one need some more informations over the one ore an other sword from these pictures please ask me! im also intrested over all opinions!!
best wishes send dralin( stefan)
Attached Images

dralin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2008, 10:02 AM   #2
dralin23

Default some more pict....

here are there more pictures from these sword and there blades...
Attached Images

Old 13th January 2008, 10:06 AM   #3
dralin23

Default more pictures...

some more detail pictures...
Attached Images

Old 13th January 2008, 10:10 AM   #4
dralin23

Default more pictures...

more pictures from these swords
Attached Images

Old 13th January 2008, 10:37 AM   #5
Ferguson

Wow.

That is a very impressive group of Khanda. Absolutely outstanding. Thanks for sharing the pictures of your collection with us Stefan!

Steve Ferguson
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2008, 10:45 AM   #6
dralin23

Default more pictures...

more pictures...!
at one khanda you can see an intresting feature at the hilt. there are an old repair at the basket. these basket was made from watered steel( wootz).
these patissa with the red wraped hilt is matched with an blade from an good visible welding damast steel. at one of the pictures you can see an straight bladed sword with an tulwar hilt( rajasthan shape). the blade is single edged with an 20 cm sharp back edge ( ricasso) these blade is realy sharp and at the end you can ee the rest from the original gold koftgari. can some one tell me more over these kind of swords? the blade is not from watered steel.
the next intresting sword is these pahari( cobra) sword with the basket hilt. i think it is in the original mounting, all the other cobra swords i seen before was mounted with afghan styled pouluar hilt. such an styl i got see only at an picture in the book from g.pant ( indian arms). there was it described as an rare sword from the 16.th ct. the bade is realy made for the fight. i will etch it to proof if these blade was made from an watered steel.
so now i wait at your opinions.
and one thing i must say all, i will not send ore sell these swords !!
NEVER!!!
stefan
Attached Images

Old 13th January 2008, 05:51 PM   #7
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

AN EXCEPTIONAL COLLECTION OF FIRST RATE SWORDS, THANKS FOR SHARING. I DON'T HAVE MANY SWORDS FROM INDIA AND VERY LITTLE KNOWLEGE IN THE FIELD BUT I CAN RECOGNIZE A GOOD OLD SWORD WHEN I SEE ONE. THE WOOTZ OR DAMASCUS BLADES ARE IMPRESIVE AND WELL ETCHED AND YOUR PHOTO'S VERY GOOD.

"I WILL NOT SEND OR SELL THESE SWORDS EVER" SPOKEN LIKE A TRUE COLLECTOR I HOPE YOU FIND SOMEONE WITH YOUR LOVE FOR THEM IN YOUR FAMILY TO PASS THEM ON TO.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2008, 09:07 PM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator

Thumbs up

ummm.... double WOW!
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2008, 09:24 PM   #9
Jens Nordlunde

Stefan, you show a very interesting variety of Indian weapons, some of them not often seen, and all of them in good quality, should I criticise anything, it would be, that you have not shown each one in its own thread, as the discussion would serve each weapon its own right.

Thank you very much for showing, and I do hope that you in the future will show other Indian weapons from you collection.

Jens
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2008, 10:25 PM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

and one thing i must say all, i will not send ore sell these swords !!
NEVER!!!
stefan[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for posting this magnificent grouping of Indian swords Stefan! and I'm proud of your protective and cherishing care for them.
It is so good to see collectors who passionately care for the weapons that have become thier charges, and don't view them simply as commodities as is seen altogether too often.

What is best with your pieces is that they represent key variations, and I completely agree with Jens, how about posting them in a thread on Indian swords and each as its own unit so that we could examine and discuss each separately. The weapons of India deserve thier history and stories to be preserved, and what better place than here, with devoted collectors like yourself!

I hope you'll agree

All very best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 01:47 AM   #11
Pukka Bundook

You have some beautiful examples here Stefan!
absoloutly lovely! some I've hardly ever seen before.
Congratulations, and thank you for showing them.

Richard.
Pukka Bundook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 05:57 AM   #12
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Excellent shots of the various sword components, blade tips etc.
The Hindu basket hilts are both Mahratta and Rajput. Most interesting are the 'old Indian hilts' which seem to have remained with Mahrattas, and while the Hindu basket hilts came in quite early, these remained concurrently into the 18th century.
There appear to be pattisas in the first group and cannot tell in the second as it is unclear which blade tips belong to which swords.

The two swords with the chakram/mandala forte are interesting and difficult to properly date and identify, especially the example with paluoar type hilt as noted with similar example in Elgood (p.121, fig.11.17) which suggests it might be from northern Deccan regions, possibly 19th c. The other one, though the hilt reflects Hindu basket hilt form has the tulwar type curve back on upper knuckleguard. Both blades seem to carry similar fullering in the blades suggesting similar period, despite variation.

The cobra/pahari attribution noted seems a bit vague and suggests these may be from regions to the east of Afghanistan through Punjab to Himachal Pradesh, where the Pahari people represent much of the population into Himalayan regions. The cobra term presumes naga association which is often presumed with shapes relating to the snakes hood, but with these the disc associates more with the mandala/chakra, as described in Elgood.

As I have mentioned, most impressive grouping of outstanding examples, which would do well being discussed singly.
Old 14th January 2008, 09:47 AM   #13
dralin23

hi all,
thankīs for you comments. when i have a little more time i will make some more pictures and than i show you the best swords in separat pictures. iīt is right in these pictures you donīt know wich pictures is from wich sword. so we can better building an dicussion over all questions and opinions.
thank you all again!!
stefan

That will be great Stefan!

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 14th January 2008 at 04:10 PM.
Old 14th January 2008, 11:33 PM   #14
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dralin23
hi all,
thankīs for you comments. when i have a little more time i will make some more pictures and than i show you the best swords in separat pictures. iīt is right in these pictures you donīt know wich pictures is from wich sword. so we can better building an dicussion over all questions and opinions.
thank you all again!!
stefan

That will be great Stefan!

Sorry I meant to quote not edit. What type of opinions are you looking for? Do you have any thoughts on these weapons that you might like to add?
We know they are impressive, but what makes them so? Have you identified or researched these?
There seems to be a degree of interest in Indian swords here, which is why I thought it might be good to talk about what they are and so on.
Old 15th January 2008, 02:48 AM   #15
CharlesS

Superb examples. Thanks for sharing.

I think I recognise the gold decorated "cobra" sword!
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote