Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th July 2007, 06:45 PM   #1
Freddy

Question Can I get some help with this African knife

I got this knife last week. At first, I was inclined to think it was Shona, but upon examining it a bit closer, I really don't know.

The handle is made of wood with a great patina (I don't know if this shows on the pics). One side of the handle is decorated. The other side is plain.

The blade is double edged and extremely sharp over its entire length. It's a forged blade, not one cut out of a piece of metal. The middle of the blade is about 4 mm thick.

Total length : 33 cm. Length of blade : 21,5 cm. Width of blade at the base : 3,3 cm.

Is there anyone who perhaps can give me a clue ?

Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2007, 07:15 PM   #2
Lew
(deceased)

I vote for Shona. Too bad there is no scabbard it may have helped more with the identication.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2007, 07:23 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

I can see how one might think of Shona. I personally think it is from the Congo. I cannot recall seeing a Shona knife or short sword with that waist to the blade or for want of a better term the exposed tang being part of the blade, but I have several and have seen many Congo knives like this.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2007, 07:52 PM   #4
Freddy

Arrow

I tend to agree with Tim. This knife 'looks' more like a Congolese dagger. But I have no idea of its origin (tribe).

I have a small Shona dagger in my collection. The construction of this knife is quite different. The blade sits much deeper into the handle.
The blade of the mystery dagger is firmly fixed and never 'sat' deeper into the handle.

On the other hand, the handle of this small Shona knife also has carvings on one side only.

Here are some other pics.

Old 9th July 2007, 09:31 PM   #5
Lew
(deceased)

Well what ever tribe it came from it's still nice. There was a bit of trade between the tribes of the congo and even the northern part of South Africa it is hard to pin this one down.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 01:16 PM   #6
Freddy

Arrow

I've been asking around to know the origin of this knife. Someone suggested that it's probably from one of the following tribes : Tshokwe, Lunda or Luena. All live near the Congolese/Angolan border.