Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th July 2024, 08:31 PM   #1
G. Mansfield

Default Lombok Keris Iconology

I have been digging through some older purchases and updating them to my website and trying to research some of the examples that I am more unfamiliar with. I purchased this keris about four years ago now and was attracted to it by the elaborate painted sheath along with its pamor blade. From the style, I gathered that it is from the Lombok area. Unfortunately, I do not have a lot of knowledge in this area. I am posting for a response of thoughts from members and help in identification. Primarily, the meaning or symbolism of the painted sheath and approximate dating. Any help is appreciated associtated with the iconology on the subject matter or any additional information on the keris itself would be benificial. Below is how I have the current description listed.

A Fine Lombok Painted Keris (Kris)
Sasak or Balinese
Dutch East Indies (Lombok, Indonesia)
Late 19th - Early 20th century (ca. 1890 - 1925)
Iron, nickel, brass, ruby, glass or pink saphire, wood, hair (likely horse), paint, gold flake (?)
Blade: 41,3cm
Hilt & Blade: 52,1cm
Hilt, Blade, Sheath: 64,1cm
Collection Date: 2020
Collection Number: 148

A fine keris from the Island of Lombok, having a beautifully painted sheath and mounted on a nicely pamored blade. Dating to the late 19th to early 20th century.The blade is straight, double-edged, with a high contrast of nickel pamor against the darker iron background contrasting nicely in coloration. The wooden hulu (hilt) is slightly curved cylindrical and flared at the pommel. There are remnants of a gold flake on the hilt. The grip is plaited with coarse hair (likely horse) woven into the grip with short tufts protruding between the weave. Brass mendaq with two original ruby stones, four colored glass or pink saphire stones, with two stones missing. I can not tell if the stones are glass or pink saphire but presumably glass. They are likely later replacements to the original rubies stones.Finely painted wooden warangka (sheath) carved in kidney shape. On one side, it is painted with colors of black, red, gold, and white, showing a leaping animal while the sheath stem is painted gold. On the reverse side, the same colors are applied to an image of clouds and waves, or possibly florals and dragons. It is not clear what the images represent from my knowledge from the iconology. Minor chips and scuffs to the handle and sheath. A fine and beautifully painted Lombok keris.

https://www.the-mansfield-collection...nted-keris-148

- Geoffrey
Attached Images

G. Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2024, 08:32 PM   #2
G. Mansfield

Additional Photographs..
Attached Images

Old 27th July 2024, 10:13 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

Just off the top of my head i would say that you have a nice keris there.
To my eyes the painting looks old, as in pre-WWII. I don't see a lot of these older sunggingan sheaths around so i would personal consider the rarity of this a big plus. I would agree that late 19th-early 20th century is a likely mark.
I am afraid i can't name the creature that is represented on the sarong, but it it seems to possibly be of a mythological origin.
Can we see a shot from the top of the gonjo while the keris is in the sheath?
I have seen these hair-wrapped Tapukan hilts used on suginggan keris before. In fact i have one, probably from the same period. I agree that in most cases they are horse hair. As for the uwer, i don't see any reason why the "stones" would not be original. While real rubies do make their way into Balinese dress, using genuine precious and semi-precious stones is not nearly as important as the look. You can even find glass and paste "stones" on rather high end keris, right along with some precious stones. That the fitting are brass might be another reason the setting were never real ruby. I would think for thos settings gold or sliver would be the norm.
Attached Images

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2024, 05:44 AM   #4
A. G. Maisey

Based upon what i believe I can see, I have a similar opinion to David.

The frolicking little puppy is probably a winged lion, ie, singo barong.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2024, 04:47 PM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey View Post
. The frolicking little puppy is probably a winged lion, ie, singo barong.
I believe you are probably right about that. I hadn't noticed the wings at first.
Geoffry, the lion (singa) in Bali has Hindu-Buddhist origins. In Hinduism, the lion is an avatar of Vishnu. The Buddha sits upon the lion as a throne and it symbolizes the freedom and fearlessness of wisdom.
I have also read that the lion was associated with the Kshatriya caste. At least it is in Indian Hinduism.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2024, 02:49 AM   #6
G. Mansfield

Here are some additonal photos in sunlight along with the top view in sheath. I appreciate the information on the singa lion. I will look further into this symbolism. Thank you for the updated thoughts on what the image may represent.

Geoffrey
Attached Images

Old 31st July 2024, 08:59 AM   #7
A. G. Maisey

When a member of the K'satriya Caste, ie, warrior cast is cremated, his petulangan (casket) is made in the form of a winged lion, other nobles of varying status are entitled to caskets in the form of other animals.

A Singo Barong need not have wings, but whether it is winged or not, it is still a hierarchical marker for a K'satriya.

In applications other than the cremation casket the Singo Barong performs a protective function, it is often placed above a gateway, or in the rafters of a house. When it is found on a keris, or keris dress, it has the function of protecting the keris from negative forces.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote