Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th February 2022, 01:28 PM   #1
Tuthmose

Default French 1845 sabre scabbard serials and paint?

I recently acquired a French Infantry Adjudant Sabre, Model 1845 (this particular one made in 1880 at Châtellerault). Other than missing grip wiring and leather washer, which I will replace, it’s in nice shape. I do, however, had questions about the scabbard. I’ve attached some pictures below; the kitchen-table on is mine, the rest pieced together from the seller’s images.

The sabre’s serials do match the period of manufacture, but its matching-serial scabbard is a single-ring model, after 1887, so that can’t be original to the blade. I’m guessing it must be a later armory-issued replacement? Or is it more likely to have been shenanigans on the part of a later seller to increase value by stamping a matching mark on a spare they had lying around? Did government-issue replacements get marked to match the sword like that?

The scabbard is painted black; the paint well-worn and old. I was considering removing the paint and re-polishing the metal. I only want to do this, however, if that paint was put on by a later collector. If the paint dates from the sword’s period of service, I’ll leave it. Do any of you experts know of any reason that the scabbard would have been painted in service? I know many of these 1845/55 blades were re-issued in World War One. Could it have been painted then, by a soldier who didn’t wish to be “shiny” in trench warfare? Or is it likely just a later collector doing something ill-advised? By a seller wishing to hide a mismatched piece?

I'd be grateful for any thoughts and opinions.
-Ron
Attached Images

Tuthmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2022, 08:08 PM   #2
Will M

Old style stamped numbers on the scabbard. I would say the numbers and paint both applied within the swords working life.
Will M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2022, 12:17 PM   #3
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Red face Opinion ... nothing else

The paint looks like a professional job, with a solid texture, no collector trick. I would leave it as it is, as you will achieve no better solution by meddling with it.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2022, 02:11 PM   #4
Tuthmose

Thank you both for sharing your knowledge and thoughts. I shall leave it as it is. I do wish these old swords could talk; the stories they could tell!
Tuthmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2022, 02:41 PM   #5
corrado26

This is the latest variation of this model with iron scabbard and just one ring.
Attached Images

corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote