Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th August 2012, 10:56 PM   #1
Iliad

Default Short Sword for ID

Hi all,
I am posting this on behalf of a friend, so have no history. I have an idea that it may be a Hunting sword, maybe German? Can anyone help to identify? Overall length 18 inches.
Best regards,
Brian
Attached Images

Iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 11:56 PM   #2
Dmitry

Nice sword! I think it's English, rather than German. Based on its appearance I would say this was an officer's personal weapon, rather than civilian's.
Tha blade appears to be of earlier period, than the mounts, and was shortened. I would guess the the blade is from late 1600s onward, and the sword ca.1795. It has a good 'naval officer's hanger' vibe to it.
Dmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2012, 06:43 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I agree this is likely to be German, certainly European in any case, and the alteration of the blade well noted as well as end of 18th century as Dmitry has suggested. The naval suggestion seems well placed in keeping with the mounts of military form and the dirklike size. Its unfortunate that the markings are so indistinct, but enough left to reveal likely Solingen origin of blade.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2012, 10:20 PM   #4
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Nice sword Brian .
You made it this time
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2012, 11:08 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Nice sword Brian .
You made it this time

Most definitely!!! In looking more in the blade it does very much resemble good Solingen fighting blade with the fuller pattern and the fluke below. Most of the 'Andrea Ferara' blades of 17th-early 18th century had these flukes on either side of the fullers, as seen on Scottish baskethilts .
The contemporary scabbard reinforces the idea of heirloom blade refurbished into dirk or hanger, and even the damaged guard does not detract from the staid charm of this weapon.

Well done Brian!!!! and thank you for sharing it .

All the best,
Jim
Old 10th August 2012, 10:20 PM   #6
Iliad

Default Short sword for ID

Gentlemen, thank you for your helpful responses. Always appreciated.
Best regards to all,
Brian
Iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2012, 07:37 PM   #7
Dmitry

I have no doubts that this is an English hanger, and not German, or any other kind, and will wager a pint of good ale on that.
Most importantly it's contained in the British officer's scabbard, and the remnants of the guard show that it was originally pierced with many small slotted apertures, a characteristic sometimes encountered on the hilts of English hangers ca.1770s-1790s.

Last edited by Dmitry; 22nd August 2012 at 08:29 PM.
Dmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2012, 10:17 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry
I have no doubts that this is an English hanger, and not German, or any other kind, and will wager a pint of good ale on that.
Most importantly it's contained in the British officer's scabbard, and the remnants of the guard show that it was originally pierced with many small slotted apertures, a characteristic sometimes encountered on the hilts of English hangers ca.1770s-1790s.

You're right of course, these mounts do appear British, but my focus was mostly on the blade so mispoke by agreeing it was German overall, rather than referring to the blade alone which is.