Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th July 2011, 02:50 AM   #1
Dmitry

Default Your thoughts on the origins of this piece? Hindustan?

I bought this plaque/altar[?]/thing a few miles from Grand Canyon 10 years ago, from a journey-man dealer in ethnic souvenirs and antiques. He didn't know where it was from.
I liked the hand-decorated brass medallions of monkey-like creatures. I'm thinking Hindustan?
Attached Images

Dmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 04:08 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

For the "Antiques Roadshow" viewers, we need to try to establish where exactly 'Hindustan' actually is or what region it might refer to. Apparantly the word is comprised from Persian terms 'Hindu' (from 'Sindhu' the orig name of the Indus River in India) and 'stan' (Pers.=land). In modern Persian the word Hindustan refers to the subcontinent of India overall.
It is difficult to determine exactly how the term is applied as it is a term used for South Asia in some cases, in Brittanica they define it to primarily North India as opposed to the Deccan (central) and South India. As can be seen by the attached map, in the early 19th century, the term was applied to the whole of India.

Trying to assess the specific geographic region of provenance for this interesting item which is clearly commercially intended and not that old is a challenge at best, and an interesting converse exercise using what we know of ethnographic weapons decoration to consider same on a non weapon.

Without deeper research, the figures remind me of the style seen on tourist oriented pieces from Southern areas of India if recalled correctly, and think some clues might appear in Robert Elgood's "Hindu Arms and Ritual".

Interesting
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 01:18 AM   #3
katana

I would assume that the 'monkey like ' creatures are Hanuman

Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 04:00 AM   #4
laEspadaAncha

Hi David,

I'm not sure sure about the Hanuman interpretation, as he is almost always shown with his giant gada. Given all the monkey-esque images on the plaque/board, one would expect to see his monster-sized mace somewhere, no?
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 06:12 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

In trying to look further into this carved panel, possibly a devotional item which might have been placed in a home or personal area of an individual of the Hindu Faith, it does seem to me that these figures may represent aspects related to Hanuman, and of that Hindu Deity. From my limited and lay understanding of the complexities of this religion, all I can add is that in the Indian epic Ramayana, Hanuman was a devotee of Rama and a general in the forces of the Vanaras, described as an ape like race of forest dwellers.

With the obviously widespread Hindu Faith, it would be hard to determine exactly where in SE Asia, the Indian subcontinent or the many archipelagos with Hindu following, that this panel might come from. It would likely take considerable research in material focused on Indian and Hindu art, as well as considering the type of wood and the use of these various gemstones in symbolism to even guess.

An interesting exercise here regardless, and reminding us that clues associated with decorative motif and designs on ethnographic weapons are closely aligned with many aspects of the cultures they are from.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 10:33 PM   #6
Dmitry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
With the obviously widespread Hindu Faith, it would be hard to determine exactly where in SE Asia, the Indian subcontinent or the many archipelagos with Hindu following, that this panel might come from. It would likely take considerable research in material focused on Indian and Hindu art, as well as considering the type of wood and the use of these various gemstones in symbolism to even guess.
I dunno, I don't think it would be that involved. I'm sure an art or religions scholar, someone who knows his field down pat, would tell us the origin of this thing, without delving into the wood.
Without any factual data, to me it absolutely looks like a tourist trade piece, just going by the looks alone. The stones and beads are glued in, not inset, the decorations are also not the best in detail. I think the central plaquette holds the key. The 'king-dude' with the cobra and the flower must mean something. The monkey-like characters may by human, too.
FWIW, Shiva is frequently depicted with a cobra coiled round his neck.

That being said, I must confess that I've done absolutely 0 research on this piece. I've just been walking past it for 10+ years.

Last edited by Dmitry; 10th July 2011 at 10:46 PM.
Dmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 07:54 PM   #7
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Default Hindu Artefact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
In trying to look further into this carved panel, possibly a devotional item which might have been placed in a home or personal area of an individual of the Hindu Faith, it does seem to me that these figures may represent aspects related to Hanuman, and of that Hindu Deity. From my limited and lay understanding of the complexities of this religion, all I can add is that in the Indian epic Ramayana, Hanuman was a devotee of Rama and a general in the forces of the Vanaras, described as an ape like race of forest dwellers.

An interesting exercise here regardless, and reminding us that clues associated with decorative motif and designs on ethnographic weapons are closely aligned with many aspects of the cultures they are from.
Salaams... The wood is either Shishum(raw rosewood) or teak(stained dark) whilst the gemstones are simple Turquoise, Agate and Greenstone and the plaques seem to be brass or bronze..Interesting.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 06:02 PM   #8
indopersianarms

I wouldnt think it was hanuman as an important way to represent hanuman was with his gada/gurj (Heavy mace) these types of mace are related to kusthi (Wrestling) who hanuman is also seen as an idol of.

Little off topic but the mace that you see in hanuman images is some times given as trophies at wrestling events and traditionally they where hollow and were filled with the dirt of the akharra (training place).
indopersianarms is offline   Reply With Quote