Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th October 2010, 06:38 PM   #1
carlos

Default Information about dagger

This is my last adquisition, a beatiful dagger, with some damaged in blade and hilt, Someone know the age of the dagger? maybe I restored it, someone have a picture of this dagger without damaged?
best regards
carlos
Attached Images

carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 06:53 PM   #2
laEspadaAncha

Hi Carlos,

Marsh Bros. & Co was a Sheffield-based cutlery manufacturer who was in business from 1850 through 1947.

While speculative, from the hilt form and scabbard, I would estimate your knife dates from the early-to-mid-3rd quarter to early-4th quarter of the 19th C. Interesting wavy-bladed form, which I would have to think must have been rather uncommon during this period.
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 07:00 PM   #3
Atlantia

Hi carlos,
Does it fold?
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 07:05 PM   #4
Rich

I'd restore the handle. Get a piece of Mother of Pearl and cut it to size, drill and replace that part or all of the handle. Remember to wear a dust mask when working with Mother of Pearl as inhaling the dust isn't a good thing. It is an unusual shaped blade for this era, but not unheard of. The Sheffield makers did all sorts of blade shapes to appeal to their vast market mainly in the US. I doubt this one of a folder otherwise it wouldn't need a sheath. I have seen Sheffield folders of this period with wavey blades that do fold however. Fancy folding Sheffield daggers are very collectible and costly (if in good condition).

Rich S

Last edited by Rich; 26th October 2010 at 07:19 PM.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 07:10 PM   #5
carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
Hi carlos,
Does it fold?
Iīm sorry for my bad english but i donīt understand. If you referes about I have the dagger now, at this moment no, maybe tomorrow I will receive dagger.
thanks
carlos
carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 08:15 PM   #6
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
I'd restore the handle. Get a piece of Mother of Pearl and cut it to size, drill and replace that part or all of the handle. Remember to wear a dust mask when working with Mother of Pearl as inhaling the dust isn't a good thing. It is an unusual shaped blade for this era, but not unheard of. The Sheffield makers did all sorts of blade shapes to appeal to their vast market mainly in the US. I doubt this one of a folder otherwise it wouldn't need a sheath. I have seen Sheffield folders of this period with wavey blades that do fold however. Fancy folding Sheffield daggers are very collectible and costly (if in good condition).

Rich S
I thought it might sit in the sheath folded, hilt first?
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote