Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th September 2005, 08:56 AM   #1
wilked aka Khun Deng

Default T'Boli kampilan

Sorry for the long absence, but work demands and I must still put that priority first. As I tried to catch up (unsuccessfully) this week-end I see that the forum has prospered with some great additions of new blood and has not lost either its sense of humor (General Custer- LOL) nor its edge.

This was the last item I picked up before I left my extended stint in the Philippines. No history on it other than it looks pretty obviously T'Boli (been wrong before on that one though). What struck me was the extensive brass inlay on the blade, I've never seen that much on a blade of this type before nor the inlay along the spine.

I quite liked the way they made the bells out of brass wire wound into a sphere.

Any and all comments welcome.

Dan
Attached Images

wilked aka Khun Deng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2005, 01:29 PM   #2
Bill

Hi Dan, I think it is a newer piece. The spike is all file work & the inlays seem to be appearing on a lot of newer work. That type of brass hilt usually shows signs of being worn, as I think the wearer might rested a hand on it as he walked.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2005, 01:42 PM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Dan.

Welcome back. Good to hear from you again, my friend. Hope your time in PI was successful.

This sure looks like a T'boli sword, although the bead work on the scabbard could be Bagobo. I suspect that the scabbard has been (re)worked recently looking at the cloth, beads, and bells.

Judging from the hilt, this one does not seem to have been handled (used) very much. Nice detail on the hilt where the designs seem a little more elaborate than usual.

Hard to judge the age of this one. Brass inlay was used on T'boli blades pre-WWII, but more commonly in the second half of the 20th C.

Where did you find this one?

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2005, 09:36 AM   #4
wilked aka Khun Deng

Picked this one up from our friend Mr Ven, who by the way never remembered me everytime I returned until I dropped your name. My guys took up a collection for the outgoing Commander and asked me to get him something REAL "Like you have on your desk" as long as I was there....
The handle actually does show wear exactly where Bill described it should and again underneath where the index finger would rest. I actually didn't care much for the beads and believed them to be an add-on as even the bells are slightly different. I believe the cloth is probably holding the scabbard together it's a bit loose. Should have took pictures before I cleaned it up, but you know I can't stand a dirty sword, if I can bring it back to life without losing it's character I will.
Dan
wilked aka Khun Deng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2005, 04:10 PM   #5
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up Bells

Dan , I've got to wonder if those bells aren't lost wax castings rather than actual brass wire .
Good clean up job on that piece .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2005, 04:31 PM   #6
Battara
EAAF Staff

The T'boli still do lost wax practice and the bells are from this type of manufacture. I tend to agree that this could be newer and the bead work could be Bagobo, although T'boli do some bead work too.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote