Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th December 2004, 09:04 AM   #1
rasdan

Default Hulu kerdas variant

Hi guys,

Just a quick one. Is this a typical variant of kerdas hilt? Any ideas on restoration without scrapping its original sapan (finishing) and sealing the cracks?
Attached Images

rasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2004, 01:37 PM   #2
DAHenkel

Lightbulb

Interesting. Can't say that this is a standard variant but I have not seen another like it. Could very well be a one off or a specialty of a particular tukang. looks more likely to be from the Straits or perhaps Riau. Of course it could also be Sulawesi but I rather doubt it from the general look and feel of the piece. Any info on where it was originally collected?

As for restoration, from the looks of it, very little of the original sapan remains. I'd suggest you use a scraper or jeweller's screwdriver and very carefully pick out all the gunk and filler, clean off all the grime with thinner and fine steel wool (I use 00000 gauge). Don't over do it of course but get all the crap off while trying not to take off any wood. It is the oxidized outer layer of the wood that gives you that nice deep red color of aged kemuning although the sapan can also help as true sapan has a reddish brown tinge.

From there you'll have to assess if you need to fill the holes or whether the crack will close without causing a split elsewhere in the wood - a very real possibility. If the crack is not too obtrusive you might instead consider just leaving it alone. But if the crack closes nicely use wood glue and a vice to glue it back together again.

Otherwise you might have to use a little filler. The best is old kemuning powderized with sandpaper and mixed with a little wood glue. The best I've encountered is a German brand called bosny. This process is harder work than off the shelf filler but it really works. If you're serious about restoration you should keep a small supply of bits and pieces of different types of wood around for this.

Finally, to finish I use highly diluted french polish brushed on with a good quality horsehair brush. Don't be afraid to sand between coats as the finish will dilute and fill in any inperfections or cracks along the way. If you're very careful and allow the coats to build up over a few days you can actually get a look pretty close to sapan. The trick is to get it on thick enough to look nice and glossy but not so thick that it looks like a bowling ball finish. Too glossy looks awful. Its trial and error and you're liable to have to clean the thing off again and start over once or more before you're done.

Good luck with your project.
DAHenkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2004, 01:49 AM   #3
rasdan

Smile

Hi Dave,

Thank you very much for the info. Unfortunately i do not have any info on where the hulu is collected. Got from Kg. Baru KL. I think the dealer also has forgotten where he got it. Looks like its gonna be a long journey for the hulu and me before both are satisfied. Thanks again.
rasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2004, 01:48 AM   #4
DAHenkel

Smile

Actually, that's quite good news lah. Pak Ahmad gets a lot of his things from a dealer in Riau so again the likelyhood is Sumatra or Riau.
DAHenkel is offline   Reply With Quote