Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th April 2009, 09:00 PM   #1
Oriental-Arms

Default Sword from Sumatara with early European Blade

I was hesitating if to post this thread in the Ethnographic forum but as the blade here is the most interesting part I finally voted for the European armory forum:

This sword, also known as Piso Podang is coming from Sumatra, Indonesia and usually associated with the Batak people. I have seen many similar swords employing any available blade, but this one is very interesting, as its blade I believe is early European, 17 C. or even earlier:

Blade length 31 inches. Central nice long fuller 28 inches long:

There is a what might be a maker mark just below the Langet:

I will appreciate any suggestions on the blade age and/or origin
Oriental-Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 11:50 PM   #2
Norman McCormick

Hi,
The appearance of this blade would probably place it, according to the usual typology, as an Xa or thereabouts. This type was most commonly used from the 11th through to the end of the 13th Cent. Although not impossible it is highly improbable that the blade would be in this age range therefore I think that the key to determining age/origin would be through the engraving. With this in mind I wouldn't discount non-European manufacture. I am unable to offer any insight as the mark is not legible enough, for me at least, to make, even at best, an educated guess. I hope more qualified members will join in, nevertheless a nice piece regardless of origin.
Regards,
Norman.
Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 12:33 AM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Artzi,
Beautiful Piso!
I think your call to post this here is well placed, as I do believe this blade is indeed European, and likely one of the many trade blades and blades of this type which were exported from Solingen in the late 17th into the 18th c.
This blade type is most often seen on the kaskaras of North Africa, particularly those found in the Darfur province of western Sudan.
I'll have to check references for more, but these blades certainly went other directions in the well established trade routes, and this is intriguing to see one on a Piso.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2009, 03:11 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

After my posting, I noticed Norman's very well observed post, and agree that there are certain similarities to the range of blades codified in Oakeshott's typology, in this case the Type X ("The Sword in the Age of Chivalry" p.28). Since these are from the medieval period noted by Norman, it does seem highly improbable that this would be that early. We do know that these European broadsword blades were prevalent products of Germany, and were widely exported, with many, as I noted, entering the North African sphere. These seem to date mostly from the 17th-18th century, however there are cases where the 16th century period is represented, and these may not have entered these regions until much later.

The blade on this piso podang seems to have a center channel that extends virtually to the point, and I am still trying to find the kaskara examples I have seen with this type blade. The Reed article on Darfur kaskaras I thought showed one like this, but I was mistaken. I still believe this is most probably a Solingen blade which may be indeed 17th century and agree possibly earlier.

I am very curious about the marking, which is partially obscured and can only make out that it seems to be an inscribed image, maybe a bird/dove or something of that nature from what I can see.

The blade being mounted in a piso podang truly is interesting, as it seems that they are typically mounted with various sabre blades, many of which are European.

best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote