Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th October 2008, 10:13 PM   #1
Robert
EAAF Staff

Default Small Knife ID Help Needed

Just picked this up and would like help with identifying where it is from and possible its age. Nice steel blade with some damage to the spine where it looks like someone was pounding on it to help cut through something. Grip is wood with brass wire binding. It is split on the top from shrinkage. The tang goes through the hilt and a small square steel plate and is then peened over. I don't know if the white dot is supposed to represent an eye or not as it is only on one side of the grip. It does have a marking on the blade and I hope that the picture is clear enough to help. Thanks for any help offered on this.

Blade Length = 6-1/8"
Blade at Thickest = 1/8"
Blade at Widest = 1-3/8"
Total Length = 10"

Robert
Attached Images

Last edited by Robert Coleman; 30th October 2008 at 06:35 AM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 02:29 AM   #2
KuKulzA28

perhaps it is a less-ceremonial version of a wedung? just a gues based on its shape
KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 03:33 PM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

REMINDES ME OF A WEDUNG FROM INDONESIA, LOMBOK IS. PERHAPS. MOST YOU SEE ARE THE FANCY ONES OR FANCY TOURIST MODELS. PERHAPS THIS IS A POOR MANS WEDUNG THAT WOULD BE THE TYPE ACTUALLY SOLD LOCALLY AND USED BY THE LOCALS.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 07:55 PM   #4
ausjulius

hmm this is interesting, i would say ,, it is from the philipines.. as is looks to be made in a style of knife from mexico but the finish and stamp on the blade looks like it is from the philipines,
also the shape looks les mexican and more asian..

but the whole knife and its construction is spanish colonial..from mexico
ausjulius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 08:51 PM   #5
Lew
(deceased)

Viva Mexico!

The knife has been shortened and reground

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 11:48 PM   #6
ausjulius

yes , id say mexico for shure. but could be philipines.. and normaly the mexican would make some stamp with a name or such not just this letter or symbol..
but ive never seen this style of mexican knfie in the philipines, so id say it is mexican then .
ausjulius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2008, 05:38 AM   #7
Robert
EAAF Staff

My thanks to everyone who has answered this thread with their thoughts on where this knife is from. The only thing that I can say with any conviction is that it has been repeatedly sharpened and the last time it looks like it was done with a grinder. The blade is only slightly over 1/8" at the hilt and tapers evenly to the tip. If it has ever been cut down the entire blade would have had to been reground to keep this even of a shape. Without being ground, anything past the existing tip would have been paper thin. Can anyone show another example of one of these knives? Thanks again.

Robert
Old 1st November 2008, 07:13 AM   #8
Gonzalo G

Robert, it could perfectly be mexican. I have seenmany times this kind of old knifes here, secured with wire, when I was a child. And they were already old. There have been many manofacturers of this type of knives along the time, and along the country´s territory, so it is not strange to find a stamp previously unknown. I think the curved edge was made along the resharpenings. Sometimes this can happen when a portion of the edge is broken and there is a need to remove this part to get a continous edge again, sometimes only a part of the edge is resharpened because it is the most used and continuosly dulled. Those knives were treated as tools, and not as a collector item. This kind of knife was an unexpensive and common working tool in the old times, when Mexico was an agrarian country. I don´t know if in other countries had very similar knives, but it is no impossible.
Regards

Gonzalo
Gonzalo G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2008, 06:37 PM   #9
Robert
EAAF Staff

Again my thanks to everyone for their help in identifying where this knife is from. The grip I just found out is horn and not wood as I originally thought. There is also a very small bolster between the blade and grip. I agree that the curve in the sharpened edge was done by either repeated sharpening / honing or was ground away to remove a broken or chipped portion. Because of its size and overall design I did not think that it was ever intended to be used as a weapon. Just an interesting old knife well worth finding some history on.

Robert