Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th December 2004, 09:57 AM   #1
Naga Basuki

Location: Big old machine shop/foundry/warehouse in Atlanta GA USA
Default Pictures of ships that mounted Lantakas?

I am looking for pictures, drawings, of sailing ships used by the Moros or other inhabitants of Indonesia/Philipines in the 16th, 17th centuries that mounted Lantakas.

Here is a picture of two of my Lantakas. The big one is too heavy to easily move for a better background.
Attached Images

Naga Basuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2004, 11:14 AM   #2
MABAGANI

Works by James Warren on Sulu and the Iranun have drawings of ships with lantaka also the book "Kris of Valor" by Cojuangco has some enlarged versions of the same drawings. I'm trying to recall where I saw a really clear blown up copy of one ship with different parts of the ship including lantakas. Interesting when you go through the drawings and see the various ship sizes, from small rowing to large sailing vessels and the positioning of the cannons. Drawings can also be found on how they were used in forts, kota.
MABAGANI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2004, 07:22 PM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

In the book "The Rainbow's Varied Hue" there is a picture of a drawing of a larger ship with several Moro warrors in armour and a large lantaka at the bow of the boat. This is toward the back of the book, possibly in the Tausug section.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2004, 08:38 PM   #4
Federico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
In the book "The Rainbow's Varied Hue" there is a picture of a drawing of a larger ship with several Moro warrors in armour and a large lantaka at the bow of the boat. This is toward the back of the book, possibly in the Tausug section.
Just happened to have the book in front of me, page 136 entitled "Illanoan Pirates".
Federico is offline   Reply With Quote