Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st October 2006, 06:19 AM   #1
joshualayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV
I wish I could come up with a nice theory to justify my collecting addiction, but I think it is just that I never grew up. As my wife points out, when boys get older, the only thing that changes is the price of their toys.
I am in the bottom of the collecting food chain, and I think this is where I will stay regardless of how wealthy I get. I like almost all ethnographic edged weapons and I find it hard to concentrate even on one geographic area, let alone on one type.
You know, right up to the liking almost all ethnographic part, I would swear you were reading my mind...

I have too many interests - music, woodworking, computers, etc... so any weapon purchase is always competing against not only other weapons, but other hobbies as well (I blame my vanishing for two years on this).

Also, while I have respect for many sword (and other weapons) making and using traditions, I find there must be something more to draw me in - I have particular aesthetic interests: I love the form of Dhas - they are visually very well balanced, I love most chinese and almost all japanese weapons and some middle-eastern (turkish: yataghan for example), and I am sure my tastes will change as I collect more.

It is funny though - I love the blade of pesh khabz, but I find the handles jarring and too squat somehow and I can say this about a number of styles in that there is an element that I love, but something inconsistent with the overall piece - I know, I know.... they weren't all made to be looked at, but as that is what I will be doing with them, I see them as (primarily at least) art.

I doubt I am the only one out there that collects based on aesthetics foremost (but I think I am the first one to say it in this thread
)

My wife has made the same comment about the cost of my toys I believe....

best,
j.
joshualayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2006, 01:30 PM   #2
Spunjer

Quote:
And I wonder what will happen to these pieces when I move on? Sometimes I feel they should go home ...

I would like my pieces to go to people who will love and respect them as I do.

ironic...
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote