Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st August 2023, 05:16 PM   #1
Akanthus

Hello Jim, Thank you for your quick response.Didn't came of the idea of an anchor.Your knowledge about swords is fascinating.Reminds me of Mr. Gerhard Seifert ,the Grand Seigneur of edged weaponry in Germany,whom i had the luck to know personally.He never got tired to answer my silly questions.Would be glad to know only the things which you both have already forgotten .
Also thanks for the other answers.
Akanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2023, 07:58 PM   #2
werecow

Has the face mark been posted here before? It feels eerily familiar but I can't find it in the places I would usually look for such a thing.

Which reminds me again that I wish I had the energy and resources to build an image-searchable sword markings database. Would be an interesting application to build.
werecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2023, 05:53 PM   #3
Interested Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by werecow View Post
Has the face mark been posted here before? It feels eerily familiar but I can't find it in the places I would usually look for such a thing.

Which reminds me again that I wish I had the energy and resources to build an image-searchable sword markings database. Would be an interesting application to build.
Is it a type of Moors Head?
Interested Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2023, 05:59 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Party View Post
It is in that context quite likely, but also reminds me of the 'green man' themes and some of the cherub type figures often seen in 17th century hilts. The green man is of course more botanical, but the neoclassic convention is similar.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2023, 02:44 AM   #5
werecow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Party View Post
Could be I suppose... It somehow reminds me of certain Greek or Roman depictions... Maybe some vague resemblance to gorgon faces/Medusa? Or maybe I'm seeing things...
Attached Images

Old 23rd August 2023, 04:35 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by werecow View Post
Could be I suppose... It somehow reminds me of certain Greek or Roman depictions... Maybe some vague resemblance to gorgon faces/Medusa? Or maybe I'm seeing things...

Good observation! as noted earlier, these kinds of faces, figures turn up a lot on the neoclassic themes in various hilt designs, however not as much for 'markings' in use by makers in this frontal facial view. Most such markings seem to favor side view or profiles.
Old 23rd August 2023, 09:40 PM   #7
M ELEY

My 17th c. hanger with 'Medusa' head just for reference to classic designs on swords...or is it a harpy?
Attached Images

M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2023, 10:54 PM   #8
werecow

Quote:
Originally Posted by M ELEY View Post
My 17th c. hanger with 'Medusa' head just for reference to classic designs on swords...or is it a harpy?
If we can classify it as a "hartsvanger" it could be a cherub.
Old 21st August 2023, 10:14 PM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akanthus View Post
Hello Jim, Thank you for your quick response.Didn't came of the idea of an anchor.Your knowledge about swords is fascinating.Reminds me of Mr. Gerhard Seifert ,the Grand Seigneur of edged weaponry in Germany,whom i had the luck to know personally.He never got tired to answer my silly questions.Would be glad to know only the things which you both have already forgotten .
Also thanks for the other answers.
Thank you for the kind words. While I did not know Mr. Seifert personally, like with you, he always graciously answered my many questions. I still have his letters tucked into my old copy of "Schwert Degen Sabel" alongside his work on the Blucher sabel. He was a true fountain of knowledge and always openly shared it and encouraged the advance of study on these weapons. I think these sages of our fields of study would be delighted to see us still carrying forward where they left off.