Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st June 2015, 11:45 AM   #1
Cerjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
I think Mark has good points on the character of the hilt with the manner of quillons attached to cup, and simplicity of the cup with raised ridge but no rompepuntas.
While this hilt has those characteristics suggesting colonial origin, the pommel seems of third quarter + classical 'urn' style. The knuckleguard screw into the pommel recalls English dragoon hilts of this period and earlier.

The blade seems to be of Solingen character of early 18th century versions of Aiala blades, and the 'anchor' seems to correspond somewhat to various examples on blades of these times. I believe that Germany began producing these rapier blades for Spanish colonial use in the 17th well into the 18th if I understand correctly.

With the combination of these, the more refined look of the grip, I would suggest this might be a Portuguese version of cuphilt for officers dress and of latter 18th.in present mounts using earlier Solingen Aiala blade. It seems that Portuguese cuphilts were with an almost colonial look were known if I recall earlier discussions correctly. The English associated elements bring to mind the various connections between Portugal and England in these times.
Hello Jim

I was expected your opinion and I would like to thank you for your so well constructed analyse there is a last detail I would like to understand about the size who is about 120 cm in my eyes it is a lot for a dress sword it is difficult to wear it, may be you could explain me.
Best

Jean-Luc
Cerjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2015, 03:53 PM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

You don't let this type of sword pend to the ground; its typical mode of scabbard holder together with your hand holding down the grip makes them go almost horizontal.
In any case, a sword with this length is not practical bor (military) battle but makes it good for (civilian/school) fencing; you intend to reach your adversary's body before he reaches yours.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2015, 03:59 PM   #3
fernando

Concerning this type of brazed quillons, pommel an cup looking Colonial, as i admited, i don't know. But that they make the Portuguese style, i make it certain.
Attached are two examples of such hilts, with and without knuckle guard screw, both with alegories to Portuguese Kings in their blades.

Attached Images

Old 1st June 2015, 05:38 PM   #4
Cerjak

Dear Fernando
Thank you for the pictures the first one is for me very similar from mine ( wooden handle and simple cup and quillons and same type of urn' style pommel only the knuckle guard screw .
Do you know from which period is the first hilt ?

Best

Jean-Luc
Old 1st June 2015, 06:58 PM   #5
fernando

Allegedly XVIII century.
Old 2nd June 2015, 09:28 AM   #6
Cerjak

I would like to thank all of you ( Jim ,Fernando ,Mr ELEY & ulfberth, for your kind contribution on this thread.
I got all the explanation expected on this sword and I'm hope that those informations will be helpful for other collectors.

Cerjak
Old 2nd June 2015, 10:33 PM   #7
Norman McCormick

Hi Jean-Luc,
A real nice find, 'de Aiala' blades seem to be popping up all over Here's a Tomas de Aiala rapier courtesy of the Wallace Collection, a bit of a different class from ours
My Regards,
Norman.
Attached Images

Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote