Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st October 2011, 10:20 PM   #1
Lew
(deceased)

Default Zande Dagger For Comment

Picked this up today. Looks like a nice quality late 19th or early 20th century Zande dagger. I really like the fuller work in the blade.
Attached Images

Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 12:17 AM   #2
Mauro

Nice dagger Lew and in good conditions. I love these dots that you find in so many tribal dagger and also in other items. I ask myself what could be the meaning of the number 8 because the dots are 4 in each side of the handle. Usually they are against the bad eye.
Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 01:47 AM   #3
Lew
(deceased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauro
Nice dagger Lew and in good conditions. I love these dots that you find in so many tribal dagger and also in other items. I ask myself what could be the meaning of the number 8 because the dots are 4 in each side of the handle. Usually they are against the bad eye.
Thanks Mauro

The dot motif is seen on quite a bit of African weapons and even some Asian pieces. Don't know if they are some type protection against the evil eye but you maybe right.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2011, 06:10 PM   #4
Mauro

you can find a similar knife attributed to the Nzakara-Bandia tribes at pg.170 of the book Fatal Beauty: Traditional weapons from Central Africa. National Museum of Taiwan ISBN 978-986-01-8462-4 edit by Jeff Ge and Mark Felix and cuated by Jan Elsen. The form of the blade is slightly different but I saw similar blades in knives made in Khartum except the holes.
Old 29th October 2011, 06:14 PM   #5
Iain

I believe a similar style of knife is also used by the MANGBETU in the Uele region (more results of my browse through the AMNH archives today - just do a search under Uele in their catalogs).
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2011, 06:26 PM   #6
Mauro

Sometimes AMNH reports the place where one item has been collected but I noted that some attribution are surely wrong. I would trust more Elsen in this case although I would not exclude that also Mangbetu used similar knives
Old 29th October 2011, 06:41 PM   #7
Iain

I Mauro, I would agree for sure. Sometimes their database has some collection notes but it is often wrong. I'm not expert enough in Congo items to give a real opinion.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote