Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th December 2008, 08:15 PM   #1
Emanuel

Default Another post-1850s flyssa for TWTFP

Have a look at this piece. Looks like a decent little flyssa, went for ~100usd on the Bay, a representative example one might say. looking at it closer though, we can see a number of things that are slightly off from more "canonical" pieces.
First of all the handle. It is very thin and elongated, much slimmer proportions than usual.
Then the decoration. The brass work is crude, and there are too many "chicken scratch" decoration that really look a tlot like those on the "wedding nimcha".

All in all I think this is a prime example of the flyssa made after 1850, which, according to Camille Lacost-Desjardins, were made not for fighing (since the introduction of guns by the French made swords obsolete) but for those who travel for pleasure. From then on, the blades got curvier, the blades thinner, the brasswork was abandonned almost entirely for scratched designs. The embossed designs on the hilt were also abandonned for the much simpler inlayed or overlaid wires.

Emanuel
Attached Images

Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 08:20 PM   #2
Emanuel

Here are two other flyssa for comparison. later i will post pics of other nimcha-flyssa to further illustrate my point.

This is, of course, only conjecture and I would very much like to see/hear counter-arguments.

Emanuel
Attached Images

Old 17th December 2008, 09:30 PM   #3
Lew
(deceased)

I agree the work on the older flyssa was of much finer quality as is apparent with many bladed weapons before 1860 or so. This an older example with a 32 inch blade.

Lew
Attached Images

Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 07:03 AM   #4
kronckew

the subject one does appear to have much cruder blade decorationsthan even my curved one.

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 08:47 PM   #5
Emanuel

The top one is exactly what I had in mind. Here are a few pics of the nimcha blades (from Oriental-Arms, I can't find pics of my own )
Attached Images

Old 18th December 2008, 08:51 PM   #6
Emanuel

Lew I think I have the twin of your large one. My recently acquired and the new gem of my collection is also 32"
Attached Images