Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th September 2008, 01:34 AM   #1
Robert
EAAF Staff

Default Bolo With Questions

This is the latest piece in my collection. Bolo with strong Spanish influence in the hilt design. Total length is about 20" grip is wood with brass fittings. As I have not received it yet I have no other measurements. My question for the experts is if this is the style of bolo that was blunted by Spanish law that produced the Tabak? Next, do you think this is a pre or post ban bolo? Jose, I would REALLY appreciate your help with this. All comments on this is will be greatly appreciated. Photos are from the auction and are posted with the sellers permission.

Robert
Attached Images

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 03:43 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

It would be very difficult to get a pre-ban bolo, if any exist. With that said, yes this may be part of the reason for the shape of the Pampangan tabak. IT looks like a Pampangan tabak, though the tip is narrower than most tabak. I would say this one was made around the turn of the century or slightly earlier. Also looks like it could be laminated.....
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 03:48 PM   #3
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hi Jose, Thank you for your response. Could you possible tell me in what year the ban was first put in place? I will post more pictures of the blade when it arrives. What do you recommend for bringing out the lamination if there is any, Vinegar? Thank you again.

Robert
Old 19th September 2008, 03:19 AM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

As far as the ban is concerned, I don't know but it was long ago, pre-1800? The Filipinos were too deadly with these things. As far as the laminations go, if you won't use ferric cloride, then a long time in vinegar with heating the blade would suffice (and heat the vinegar too) and then with lime juice or mix the 2 (heat all the fluids).
Old 20th September 2008, 03:27 AM   #5
ausjulius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
As far as the ban is concerned, I don't know but it was long ago, pre-1800? The Filipinos were too deadly with these things. As far as the laminations go, if you won't use ferric cloride, then a long time in vinegar with heating the blade would suffice (and heat the vinegar too) and then with lime juice or mix the 2 (heat all the fluids).
.. don't heat the blade!........
ther eis no need to seel if it is laminated, if you want to then clean the back of the blade with alittle emery paper , polish it with metal polish and etch it with vinegar or acid.. but no heat..
ausjulius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2008, 03:49 AM   #6
Battara
EAAF Staff

Use low heat, obviously not high heat. Like from a blow dryer......
Old 22nd September 2008, 06:37 AM   #7
Robert
EAAF Staff

Jose and Ausjulius, Thank you for taking time to answer my question about the best way of bringing out the lamination on this bolo. Sorry it has taken so long for me to answer you both back after you posted your replies. If I decide to try etching this I will post pictures of the results. Right now I'm trying to find a supplier for ferric chloride in my area and then want to test both it and vinegar on something else before I try it on this. Thank you both again for your help.

Robert
Old 23rd September 2008, 01:38 AM   #8
Battara
EAAF Staff

Try Radio Shack, but dilute it 3 parts distilled water to 1 part acid.