Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th September 2008, 07:55 PM   #1
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking
Default More snap matchlock harquebuses at the Battle of Pavia 1525

From a series of seven tapestries made in Brussels in about 1527-30 and after drawings by a 'war reporter' executed live during the battle and then watercolored. The tapestries are preserved in the Museo di Capodimonte in Naples.

Pavia went down into war history as decisive in that it clearly marked the overwhelming advantage of the harquebusiers with their snap matchlock, respectively tinder snap-lock, guns.

Note the finely carved barrels and some painted stocks.

Matchlock
Attached Images

Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2008, 08:11 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Matchlock, and welcome to the forum!
Thank you for the most interesting illustrations on an extremely intriguing topic. As this forum has developed since inception on September 1st, the amazing interest and knowledge held by existing members, and gratefully new members such as yourself has shown the importance of historic firearms in arms study.

I have studied arms and armour for many years, and with focus on edged weapons, have had an ancillary interest on firearms, but admit that my knowledge is deeply lacking. I look forward to the posts by yourself and others that will get many of us 'up to speed' on these fascinating weapons.

Could you please explain the differences in the harquebus from the arquebus for example? While these terms are familiar in military historical descriptions of battles and strategy, it would be great to see them defined in sort of a glossary to help us in discussing them as we learn more on them.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 09:25 PM   #3
dana_w

What a treasure reading some of these older post is. I hope that Matchlock is getting better and will rejoin the discussions here soon.

The battlefield drawings are now stored at the Louvre and the tapestries were a gift to Charles V (Carlo V) in 1531.

It looks like there is a good book available (if you can find a copy), Gli Arazzi della Battaglia di Pavia.
dana_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 09:31 PM   #4
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana_w
What a treasure reading some of these older post is. I hope that Matchlock is getting better and will rejoin the discussions here soon...
Still some time to go; a new surgery within a couple weeks and full recovery expected for next spring.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote