Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th February 2005, 01:18 PM   #1
delor

Default New member

Hello all of you,

I've suscribed the forum, already posted one query about some unusual item, and I didn't take time to introduce myself.
My name is Bernard Delor. I live in Marseille, south of France. A few years ago, I began trying to become a blacksmith, with the help and advices of a friend of mine who is a professional knifemaker.
Since one year, I try to make it more "professional", although I keep on working as a computer engineer, still my main job... I had a look around, and found that oriental arms may be a good source of inspiration for a blacksmith and knifemaker who intends to make something different. So I started looking after pictures and documentation, first about arabic jambiya, but soon this leaded me to persian, turkish and indian blades.
So what I've been making, as a first try, may be seen as some kind of "newbie" work, but I think the best way to learn is to start doing things... Anyway, I do not intend to make copies. I only make use of traditional shapes and designs, to create new material, with direct reference to oriental styles.

I found that discussions, pictures and knowledges here are amazing. I already have a lot to read and learn !

So greetings to all of you.

Kind regards,
Bernard
delor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2005, 01:42 PM   #2
Mark

Bien venue, Bernard! (I don't know how to say that in Occitan ...). There is a lot of information here. Sometimes I find it overwhelming. But the quality is top-knotch because there are members who have expertise both deep and broad.

Its good to have you with us.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2005, 03:27 PM   #3
Jens Nordlunde

Welcome to the forum Bernard.
Do you also collect?

Jens
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote