Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th July 2024, 03:24 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Default Colonial cosh swagger stick

At a flea market this morning and found this rather nice colonial cosh swagger stick. Compacted leather discs on a iron core construction late 19th early 20th century. I do not think it anything to do with ww1 trench artifacts. Although the white metal alloy parts are European in influence it is not European manufacture well certainly not British. My thoughts are East African could be Indian but??? African. Over all length 62cm the steel tip is 47mm long which I assume is the whacking and poking end. A much better buy than a few packs of those cold unpleasant eating pre-made packs of sandwiches that are so popular in the UK. yuk
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 6th July 2024 at 03:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2024, 04:38 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

Have been researching as you do when you have not easily identifiable artifacts. There may be the possibility that this might be a Bosun's starter or persuader which would make it earlier in manufacture than previously stated. The metal work is European in style. However with a steel tip I could think it far to aggressive for the purpose of stirring a fellow to work?
Old 6th July 2024, 07:43 PM   #3
C4RL

A bit unlikely but how long is it? Yard stick?

C4RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2024, 05:44 AM   #4
Tim Simmons

62cm or just over 24 inches . Too short for a yard stick.
Old 7th July 2024, 03:53 PM   #5
RobT

Default European Ethnographic Walking Stick?

Hi Tim Simmons,

I have one of these but it is cane length (33.5" [85.9cm]). I have frequently seen these at antique shows and have been told that they are some sort of Western European ethnographic walking stick that also serves as a weapon. One dealer said it is called a malela but the only thing I could find online close to that name is the Basque Makila (also spelled Makhila) and the Basque walking stick doesn't really look like your stick or my walking stick. My stick doesn't have a metal cap but there is what looks like a ghost of one so it may have fallen off. The ferrule on mine is brass with a rounded, not pointed end and mine also doesn't have a band like yours. I should also mention that I have another stick of the same leather washer over steel shaft construction with a horn handle, silver band, and a conventional two piece (steel & iron) ferrule. I always thought that it was made in India.

Sincerely,
RobT

Last edited by RobT; 7th July 2024 at 03:56 PM. Reason: clarification
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2024, 05:33 PM   #6
Tim Simmons

It could be an Anglo Indian thing. Just that all the iron/steel rod core stuff I have handled has been African. However yes could be Indian come to think of it the metal work would fit that. A lot of Indian metal work had a Western feel even a lot of gothic revival imagery on metalwork trays and other artifact made for colonials and for export. The metal tip is heavy. I could be changing my mind on the origin. Although not a deadly arms length weapon in a close up situation not a lot of fun to be struck or poked in the face with.