Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th March 2006, 12:55 PM   #1
Henk

Default Shula?????

I picked up a dagger attached to a belt. I already found a threat where this kind of dagger appeared as a shula from Morroco.
Any ideas or comments?
Attached Images

Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2006, 01:11 AM   #2
RobT

Default Wahabiti Influence?

Hi Henk,
That's a really nice piece. I don't know if it is a shula or not. It certainly doesn't look like my shula or any of the others that I have seen but the red and blue leather wrap around the sheath looks exactly like what's on my Wahabiti jambiya.
Sincerely,
RobT
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2006, 02:27 PM   #3
Emanuel

Hello Henk,

Very interesting dagger! Looking at my own shula, this one seems very different. The scabbard and hilt do look like those of the Omani and Saudi jambiya, could this be custom made for the Arabian market?
Since this one is wrapped into a belt I'm wondering whether other shula were worn in the same way. Mine has two leather loops in the scabbard, possibly for a baldric to be hanged across the shoulder. How thick is the blade?
All the best,
Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2006, 08:11 PM   #4
Henk

Hello Emanuel,

The blade is 3 mm thick, sturdy and sharp.
I think it is very good possible that other shula where worn in this way. It is mounted in the way the jambiya is attached to the belt. I don't know if in Morocco the daggers are worn in this way.
The scabbard and hilt have the look of those jambiya's. My feeling is that it isn't from Morocco but an arabian dagger.

Just like RobT said, is it a shula or not?
Old 31st March 2006, 10:22 PM   #5
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Arrow

It is unlike any shula I have seen so far ; the decoration looks more Omani/Yemeni than typical Moroccan work .
All the shula blades I have seen so far are not unfullered and double edged their whole length .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2006, 01:12 AM   #6
Emanuel

Hello again,

I found the following at Oriental-Arms http://www.oriental-arms.co.il/photos.php?id=9
Stylistically it shares many elements with yours Henk. Very similar work on the scabbard, but the hilt is different. Perhaps yours is such a type of Wahabite dagger, but not a Moroccan shula.
What are the materials used?
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2006, 01:51 PM   #7
Henk

Hello Emanuel,

Thanks for the link. My dagger has stylistic compatible elements. The red "stone" on the scabbard is similar as well. It could be a whahabite yambiya dagger. My blade, although smaller has the same curve. The tang of the blade is covered with two wooden scales. The tang remain visible and the hilt is covered with silver. The scabbard is silver as well. If I clean the piece, I have a shiny silver whahabite dagger mounted on a belt.