Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th February 2006, 06:47 PM   #1
Emanuel

Default Speaking of sword...Byzantine?

Here is another mysterious one

This statue block of the Tetrarchs of Constantinople dates from the early 4th century, and was brought to San Marco in Venice in 1204 as spoils. The twin figures are depicted in military dress, and they each bear an interesting sword with an eagle's head hilt. The hilt itself is quite long, as is the apparently straight blade in the scabbard.
Is this a basic Roman example? It isn't like any of the gladius one sees in movies and books.
For some reason the words flyssa and yataghan come to mind...
Any info would be much appreciated.
Regards,
Manolo
Attached Images

Last edited by Manolo; 10th February 2006 at 05:49 PM.
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2006, 03:44 PM   #2
Mark

I wish I can remember what I read about this ... I recall that they were identifiable as belonging to a particular corps of guards or soldiers. I assume this was based on their armour and weaponry.

What is cool about this sculpture is that it is at ground level, incorporated into a corner of St. Mark's cathedral, so you can get a very good look at it (and even touch it). You can see the pavement in the background of the right-hand photo, in fact.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2006, 03:55 PM   #3
Mark

Just found the reference. The grouping is called the Tetrarchs, presumably representing the four Tetrarchs of the Roman Empire that existed in the late 3rd and early 4th century. The Empire was divided into four jurisdictions, ruled by four co-equal emperors - Tetrarchs (tetra is from the Greek for "four"). There are actually four figures, but they don't seem to represent anyone in particular since they are all the same.

The swords would then probably be either some sort of badge of office, or a very decorative style. The eagle was the symbol of the Roman Legions, and they seem to be wearing some sort of crown.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2006, 03:55 PM   #4
fearn

Varangian guard, perhaps? They were Viking mercenaries serving the emperor.
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2006, 05:48 PM   #5
Emanuel

Thank you Mark and fearn,

I've read about the Varangian guards, Viking mercenaries and elite troops, but I've yet to find a detailed depiction of their gear. On a manuscript they're shown as wearing mail, some sort of coif and using polearms and lances/spears, essentially byzantine equipment.
Although the eagle head points to Roman practices and traditions, I'm wondering whether a different sword type/style was developed/adopted in Byzantium.

To the forum members residing in Istanbul, or to those having visited her museums! Do you have any pictures or documents pertaining to weaponry in the 3rd-4th centuries? Anything from the Early Period would be helpful.

Many thanks.
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote