Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd July 2013, 03:23 AM   #1
Robert
EAAF Staff

Default A Genuine What's-It

Here is a rather interesting little item I picked up recently. I believe it to be a gunong but with the talibong style blade The blade though of the general style of a talibong does not have the chisel grind that one would expect. Instead it is tapered on both sides. The fittings are made of brass and the blade shows a few forging flaws, the main one being on the left side toward the tip. As this was in pretty sad condition when it arrived I have taken it completely apart, cleaned the blade, repaired the broken hilt and straightened the bent tip of the blade the best I could without having to do any grinding or filing to the metal itself. I have included both auction photos as well as ones taken after a little work. Any ideas as to what to call this as well as any comments or other information would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Robert

P.S.
I forgot to list the measurements. 8-1/8 inches in overall length with a 4-1/2 inch blade. Blade at widest point is 9/16 inch and is slightly over 1/8 inch thick at the hilt. This could be easily hidden in a sleeve or other easily accessible place and would be a very nice little defensive weapon.
Attached Images

Last edited by Robert; 2nd July 2013 at 04:11 AM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 05:09 PM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

I WOULD CLASSIFY IT AS A GUNONG FORM LIKELY NON MORO BECAUSE OF THE BLADE BUT YOU CAN NEVER BE SURE. I WOULD THINK IT WAS SOMEONES PERSONAL KNIFE CARRIED AND USED EVERYDAY FOR WORK, CRAFT OR PROTECTION AS NEEDED. I LIKE THESE VARIATIONS AND THE FACT THAT THEY WERE NOT MADE TO SELL AS SOUVINEERS BUT FOR LOCAL USE AND THEY ALL HAVE THAT PERSONAL TOUCH. NICE JOB ON FIXING IT UP.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 06:23 PM   #3
Sajen

Hello Robert,

have watched this dagger and I am glad that you picked it up. I am with Barry about the origin. And you have done a good job to let it look nice again!

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 10:47 PM   #4
ariel

People made weapons, not standard models. This one is a good and practical dagger suited to the owner's taste.
One can find tons of examples all over the world that do not conform to the classic descriptions of traditional weapons.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 02:32 AM   #5
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello everyone and thank you all for your kind words and help on identifying this strange little knife as actually being a gunong. I am happy that it turned out the way it did as the tang of the blade was so heavily rusted that it had not only split the hilt in three places but was actually forcing the blade out of the hilt itself. The color of the wood is darker than it shows in the photos, which is more than likely due to the flash when taking them indoors at night. Sorry that it has taken so long to reply to the thread but I have been extremal busy lately with the coming holiday. My wife and I are having our yearly 4th of July family picnic and I have only been able to pop in and out of the forum the last few days in between finishing jobs given to me by she who must be obeyed. Thank you all again and to those celebrating Independence Day have a safe and pleasant holiday.

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote