Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th January 2013, 02:12 PM   #1
Jens Nordlunde

Default A Tegha

Some time ago there was a discussion about what a tegha looked like, besides from the ones with the very extreem blades.
The one showed below is a tegha. North Indian late 17th to early 18th century, and the floral decoration has a Mughal influence.
The blade is pattern welded, has a heavy 'T' spine, and is at the yelman 6 cm broad. The hilt is a tulwar hilt, and yet there are differences, as the disc is rather heavy and the ends of the quillons are more rounded than normal.
Total length 92 cm, length of blade 80 cm.
On each side of the blade there is an inscription. On one side it says 'Shri Wodeyar Krishna III', and on the other side 'Thega 16'. Notice the different way of spelling Tegha.
Wodeyar Krishna III was placed on the throne after the death of Tipu Sultan, beinf of the ruling family from before Haider Ali and his son Tipu Sultan took power. I am sure the British had learned the lesson, and removed a big part of the weapons from Tipu Sultand armouties before they let Krishna onto the throne.
It is likely that the tegha was in the Mysore armoury before before Krishna got to the throne, if not he must have boght it, but it is known, that he marked the weapons in his armoury with his name and the name of the weapon.
Does anyone have a sword with a hilt like this one?
Jens
Attached Images

Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 02:37 PM   #2
ariel

I have a somewhat similar handle: massive disk and quillons. The latter have a Deccani/Persian configuration.
The axis of the handle is a bit aslant of the axis of the blade: AFAIK a South Indian feature.
Attached Images

ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 02:34 AM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Canted pommel disc or hilt a South Indian feature? I hadn't particularly noticed that in S. Indian swords, which typically did not utilize the 'tulwar' or Indo-Persian hilt had this characteristic. It does seem that the canted hilt did often occur in certain Caucasian and Tatar sabres, like the 'Mingrelian' shashka and the ordynka. Seems quite unique for this type sword so it would interesting to see other tulwar hilts using the feature in addition to these.

Extremely interesting to see the 'thega 16' inscription also. Would this be an identification and arsenal entry number?
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 01:23 PM   #4
Jens Nordlunde

Nice hilt Ariel, but not quite what I was looking for.
Jens
Old 21st January 2013, 02:14 PM   #5
A.alnakkas

Very nice Tegha, Jens! I absolutely like it but been thinking of the inscription is not authentic? it looks fresh to me.
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 04:34 PM   #6
ariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Nordlunde
Nice hilt Ariel, but not quite what I was looking for.
Jens

Sorry, that's the best I had to add: the massive disk :-)
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 04:41 PM   #7
CharlesS

Gorgeous piece...thanks for posting.

I am most fascinated by the very word 'Thega' being chiseled on the blade.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 04:54 PM   #8
Jens Nordlunde

Lotfi, the inscription is very clear, but you must not forget thet you see a picture, and I have studied the sword closely.
To this comes, that most of the swords in the armoury of Wodeyar Krishna III, likely never left the armoury till they were sold. An armoury consisted of weapons for use and replacements, but if some of the replacements were never needed, they would stay in the armoury.
Old 21st January 2013, 08:07 PM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Just noticed that it says thega on tghe blade, I find that most interesting.
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 08:21 AM   #10
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Does anyone have a sword with a hilt like this one?
Jens
Jens,

I have swords here with some similar aspects but not all aspects in the one hilt.

One has a very similar squared off disc pommel and some untranslated script to the quillon block. A very strong and bold hilt type with an Indian made pattern welded blade of near exact 1796 light cavalry profile and dimensions.

Another has the very similar fine quillon ends with the more globular profile rather than the typical hemisphere.
This hilt with the finer globular quillon ends shared a similar refined slender shape but is distinctly different.

Gavin
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 11:00 AM   #11
Lew
(deceased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
Very nice Tegha, Jens! I absolutely like it but been thinking of the inscription is not authentic? it looks fresh to me.
Lotfi

The inscription is smooth and flowing and exhibits a high degree of skill it shows the the proper oxidation within the letters. When compared to the dot matrix lettering often seen on weapons from the Bikaner armory. As Jens stated these swords would have these markings applied and be sent back into the stock so I see no reason to suspect that they are recently applied. In fact I'm sure that this flowery style of script is not even used any more.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 12:11 PM   #12
A.alnakkas

Quote:
Lotfi, the inscription is very clear, but you must not forget thet you see a picture, and I have studied the sword closely.
To this comes, that most of the swords in the armoury of Wodeyar Krishna III, likely never left the armoury till they were sold. An armoury consisted of weapons for use and replacements, but if some of the replacements were never needed, they would stay in the armoury.
I see your point mate :-) You are right
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote