Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th November 2011, 12:57 AM   #1
Martin Lubojacky

Default African shield for ID

This shield should allegedly be comming from the Mambila region (Nigeria/Comeroon borderland), and I was informed by one Fulani man who brought it, that it was used by both Darum and Kara tribes. But I did not find names of such tribes in "Peoples of Africa, Ethno-Linguistic Map" by Charles Meur (very detailed work; Kara lives in another parts of Afrika...) ! Have anybody seen such shield before ? It is a little bit simmilar to classical Mambila wicker shield. And it seems to be old, but one should not rely on it - local people are real "masters of patination"....
Thanks
Regards
Martin
Attached Images

Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 10:28 AM   #2
Iain

Hi Martin,

I'm not sure if this will help exactly, but there is a Kuru town in Nigeria populated mostly by the Berom. So on these tribe names I have no idea...

But the Musgum also use a reed shield that has some similarities, although the illustration I have (just a drawing) is of a much taller shield. But it seems to be in roughly the same style with the leather on the edges. I posted this drawing one time before here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showpo...31&postcount=7

Best,

Iain
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 12:26 PM   #3
Martin Lubojacky

Thank you Iain. Musgum is made by similar mode, by the shape is different and Musgum is as high as a man. This shield is mystery to me. I add the same photos made on the day light this morning. Regards,
Martin
Attached Images

Old 20th November 2011, 05:07 PM   #4
colin henshaw

Sorry to be negative, but I have a feeling this could be a modern "copy" of a Mambila shield. The patina looks applied....

Regards.
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 09:09 PM   #5
Martin Lubojacky

Thanks for the standpoint Colin. I would be happy if I have more standpoints...
As far as me - I am half and half. They told me the leather edging was added additionally, but still there is something strange on it and the whole circumstances around....
Please, other African "matadors" - donŽt be afraid to express your opinions !
Old 20th November 2011, 09:21 PM   #6
Iain

Hi Martin,

I agree the Musgum shield is quite different in size, but the construction seems identical.

I have been looking through the few resources I have, but found nothing so far. Smaller shield about this size are of course common in the Bauchi region, but the Berom shields are usually palm bark and of course no help.

Colin rightly notes similarities with Mambila shields. Here is a good link about them. http://www.bodley.ox.ac.uk/external/...shield-bg.html

However one thing I notice immediately is the difference in size, proportions and grip (braided thong instead of a solid piece of wood).

I also agree that the shield looks a bit 'new'. But I am completely unsure of how old reed shields usually appear. Another point of concern for me is that most shields of this material and from this region I have seen are not entirely flat like this. They are concave...

Regardless, it is an interesting item, I need to get into shields at some point!

Cheers,

Iain
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 10:23 PM   #7
Martin Lubojacky

Hi Iain,
Thank you for interesting link. All differences you mentioned are right. But couldnŽit be some kind of dancing shield ?
Regards,
Martin