Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th October 2005, 04:38 PM   #1
Roundtree

Default Maasai Big Knife

Hey folks,

I asked this question on another forum and was directed here for information on African weapons and tools. And after looking around I'm glad as hell I followed that link because I'm blown away by the beautiful and remarkable pieces that surface here.

So here's my question:

I spent some time in Kenya several years ago and traded a Maasai I came across in the Nguruman a pair of sneakers for this big knife/sword below. A friend of mine encouraged me to make the trade because, he said, blades that carried this giraffe mark were made with superlative steel, relative to most knives used by Maasai and other East African tribes.

So, my question is: does anyone know anything about this mark, or has anyone seen one like it? The blade is at least half an inch (closer to an inch probably) narrower at the belly than other similar knives used by these guys; and I was told, and believe, that that's because the thing's been ground down (through many, many sharpenings--you can see how the giraffe's backend has been ground away) from the prefered width to it's current state. Which leads me to believe as well that's it's been around a while... though obviously not too long since it's apparently stamped/cut from sheet steel.

I'd like to make a gift of this piece, and it would be good, I think, to be able to offer some further information in doing so, so any help identifying the mark is greatly appreciated.

Here she is:

sorry this one's blurry:

Thanks for taking the time, and thanks for the incredible resource!

Joel
Roundtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2005, 05:27 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

Hello, go to search and enter 'seme' Leather sheathed sword in particular and a lot of information is in the archive. I do not think there is anything specific about the giraffe mark. Tim

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 25th October 2005 at 05:48 PM.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2005, 07:19 PM   #3
Lew
(deceased)

Hi Roundtree

Your simi or sword was made via stock removal from an old panga style machete probably 1960s-70s vintage. Older simi were often forged from scrap steel.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2005, 07:34 PM   #4
Freddy

Arrow

Nothing wrong with this 'seme'. It looks like a good working knife/sword. It's probably not very old. This blade is most certainly made from some kind of European machete, hence the mark on the blade.

I had a look around on the internet, but up to now I couldn't find this brand name. Perhaps an older brand (before internet days) ?

An older and forged 'seme' has a typical rib in the middle of the blade. Something we don't find with the newer pieces. These are often ground down from a piece of metal or a machete (like yours).

Here's an older type :

To see some nice, older examples, go to this site http://anthro.amnh.org/

Then choose : Collections Database (top left on this page)

Then go to : African Etnographic Collection

You will find a search engine : type MASAI and SWORD

By the way, this site is worth exploring.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote