Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th February 2010, 11:41 PM   #1
FilAmfighter1

Default Help needed to ID Copper-kris blade

A friend called me up and said he had blade that was given to him many years ago by a old teacher of FMA. He said the balde belong with my friend. I some photos he took of it. Can you guys tell me more about the Copper Kris balde with bolo handle.
Attached Images

FilAmfighter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 03:05 AM   #2
ThePepperSkull

looks like a modern made FMA training blade, but with copper or brass (can't tell from the lighting) inserted into the middle of the blade to imitate some Keris styles.

Definitely made in more recent years. Not very high quality, and no real hisrotical precedent; looks like a melange of several types of weaponry. Possibly for the tourist market or more likely the tourist FMA practitioner market. Seen a lot of my buddies use aluminum training blades like this. Some were steel, none had the copper/brass/whatever it is in the middle though.

What's the hilt made of? stacked leather?

EDIT: I suggest to any of the mods reading that perhaps this may be moved to the Ethnographic Weaponry forums, as this isn't really a javanese/malay style Keris. It looks very contemporary luzon, and the phillippines did not really partake in making Pamor pieces afaik.
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 03:57 AM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

IT LOOKS LIKE AN EXPERIMENTAL BLADE TO ME. OFTEN PEOPLE EXPERIMENT WHEN THEY ARE LEARNING THEIR TRADE. IN THIS CASE SOMEONE USED A INCOMPLETE AND INFERIOR KERIS BLADE TO EXPERIMENT BY ADDING COPPER INSTEAD OF PARMOR TO THE BLADE CORE. THE COPPER COULD BE WORKED TO MAKE DESIGNS OR DRAGONS AND SUCH BUT IN THIS CASE FORMS A NATURAL BAROQUE PATTERN. ITS WISE TO USE A POOR BLADE THAT CAN'T BE RUINED WHEN YOU START WONDERING WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF I DID THIS??
IT IS COMMON TO FIND PURE COPPER BLADES MADE INTO SMALL KERIS TYPE BLADES COLD FORGED AND USING STOCK REMOVAL TECKNIQUES. THIS TYPE WOULD FALL INTO THE CATAGORY AS HOME MADE SIMI KERIS DAGGERS. PERHAPS COPPER ALSO IS BELIEVED TO HAVE SOME POWER TO PIERCE THINGS THAT ARE PROTECTED BY MAGIC FROM STEEL BLADES.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 02:26 PM   #4
FilAmfighter1

Default Additional notes on Kris

The blade apprears older then the handle and the spacer. The spacer is made aluminum and the handle is made of stacked leather. The blade looks much older I figured it was remount of an older blade. Within the copper there looks to be finger prints! The blade ballances well.
Old 16th February 2010, 06:49 PM   #5
ThePepperSkull

perhaps we could get a better assessment of your blade if we had pictures with a better resolution.

Maybe if you took a pic with a digital camers, perhaps in natural light, we would be able to see the blade better and therefore analyze it more accurately.
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2010, 03:07 PM   #6
FilAmfighter1

Default Better pics

Hey, I will try this weekend to stop by his house and get some pictures of this blade with better light and some more detail.