Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th July 2009, 12:08 PM   #1
khalifah muda

Thumbs up A fine old Bugis Sulawesi

Interesting layering of metal & condensed pamor.
Welcome all for comments & discussion.
Attached Images

Last edited by khalifah muda; 10th July 2009 at 01:32 PM.
khalifah muda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 01:49 PM   #2
Sajen

Hello,

welcome to the forum! Look's like a nice keris. I like this specific form of the hilt. Is the buntut of the sheat from a old coin? When I am you I would change the Pendoko.

sajen
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2009, 02:46 AM   #3
khalifah muda

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Hello,

welcome to the forum! Look's like a nice keris. I like this specific form of the hilt. Is the buntut of the sheat from a old coin? When I am you I would change the Pendoko.

sajen
thanks for the welcome, the buntut of the sheath is actually from water buffalo horn.
Old 11th July 2009, 03:46 AM   #4
Sajen

Selamt pagi! On the pictures it look like metal so my question.

sajen
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2009, 11:10 PM   #5
Alam Shah

Welcome Khalifah Muda (Fyan) to the forum. I recognised the keris, hence the identity of its owner.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 04:55 PM   #6
BluErf

Very robust Sulawesi Bugis keris. The kind that would boost one's confidence.

just a gentle advice - don't cover the keris blade and sheath/hilt in oil. Too much is bad the sheath and hilt, and ultimately the keris, when gunk builds up and decomposition takes place. A little spread out evenly but regularly goes a long way.
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 11:36 PM   #7
A. G. Maisey

I agree with the advice you have given, Kai Wee, but there is another way to approach this problem. I use it myself, as do many, if not most dealers in Jawa, as well as a number of collectors there.

Most serious keris people do not keep their entire collection of keris on display the entire time.Dust and fly specks can cause expensive wrangkas to deteriorate as quickly as oil, and daylight and worse still, sunlight are definitely not the friends of jejeran and wrangkas. Apart from which to maintain a reasonably sized collection of keris that is on constant display can use mega time.

So, what most of us do is keep our prized possessions in cloth bags, and keep these cloth bags in a chest or cupboard.We might have one or two keris on public display, but not many.

Once we take the decision to store, rather than to display, we can then wrap the oiled blade in plastic film, either a thin plastic sleeve, or plastic lunch wrap. Most times the wrapped blade can be stored in the wrangka, and the oil will not damage the wrangka, but if it is too neat a fit, there is nothing wrong with storing the wrangka and blade separately.

I have stored all my keris and other edged weapons in this way for many years. I have blades that were stained more than 50 years ago, that are still as fresh and bright as they were when they were stained, and the only oil stains on any of my wrangkas are stains that they gained before I got hold of them.

I feel it is important to realise that these keris we have are not really ours:- we only have a loan of them for a little while. In a hundred years time all the keris that any of us may have now will be with somebody else. While we have these keris in our possession we have a duty and an obligation to care for them and try to pass them to those who follow us, in as good a state of preservation as possible.

We can go a long way towards this objective by using a little bit of plastic.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2009, 01:46 AM   #8
sipakatuo

Nice Tappi Fyan...
sipakatuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 02:32 AM   #9
khalifah muda

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluErf
Very robust Sulawesi Bugis keris. The kind that would boost one's confidence.

just a gentle advice - don't cover the keris blade and sheath/hilt in oil. Too much is bad the sheath and hilt, and ultimately the keris, when gunk builds up and decomposition takes place. A little spread out evenly but regularly goes a long way.
Thanks for the advice bro, it's been (& should) the practice of slight oil application blade. As for this pic, the blade had just completed the process of cleaning & traditional drying. Letting the oil seap thru within pamor while the blade is hot and letting it dry for a while before it was kept in its sheath.