Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th August 2009, 12:21 AM   #1
kulbuntet

Lightbulb Tangguh/ keris blade age indexing thread

Hello, like i post on other thread(http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...8&page=3&pp=30) is this thread made to get/gather info about Tangguh (the Javanese blade age indexing system) and age indexing in general. I hope that the ones with experience and knowledge of this, wil give us a explaination and try to give as much info about it. Using indicators combines with photo's/illustrations to make this a good info thread about the age indexing system.

All thanks in advance for trying to learn us about it, and posting the info.
kulbuntet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 12:32 AM   #2
A. G. Maisey

Michel, I wish you luck in this endeavour, but I think I've already said about as much as I want to say on this matter.

I have said time and time again that this is something that cannot be learnt from the pictures and the written word.

Anybody who understands anything at all about tangguh will say the same thing.

The more a knowledgeable person in this field attempts to explain aspects of it, the more confusing the matter becomes and people who have no knowledge of the subject only become more and more bewildered.

There is only one way to learn the application of tangguh and that is at the knee of a knowledgeable person who has access to many examples.

The best that somebody who does not have access to this can do is to learn about tangguh, which is considerably different from learning its application.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 12:52 AM   #3
kulbuntet

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Michel, I wish you luck in this endeavour, but I think I've already said about as much as I want to say on this matter.

I have said time and time again that this is something that cannot be learnt from the pictures and the written word.

Anybody who understands anything at all about tangguh will say the same thing.

The more a knowledgeable person in this field attempts to explain aspects of it, the more confusing the matter becomes and people who have no knowledge of the subject only become more and more bewildered.

There is only one way to learn the application of tangguh and that is at the knee of a knowledgeable person who has access to many examples.

The best that somebody who does not have access to this can do is to learn about tangguh, which is considerably different from learning its application.
Yes, but were to find a sorce? I hope to find it here, or at least to open gerneral discussion about it.
kulbuntet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 12:01 PM   #4
Gustav

I have also a great interest in indexing the age of the blade, as every man, interested in antiquities or simple history. But I also understand, when we are handling a part of rich and refined culture, and this part belongs to the heart of this culture, the most important things are not to tell without going into a teacher-pupil relation, which has the same intensity as a relation within the family.
This relation is an absolute necessity, but living in the age of google and wikipedia we forgot it more and more.

In Java, the gamelan music declines slowly, since the teaching follows the western conservatoire methods, using the written notation as source. The musicians in Java have had a notation system, probably since 19 centhury, but the importance of it was very small, since all teaching was a mouth (or instrument) to ear information.

It is not possible to understand a culture, handling it in a way, inadequate for this culture. Otherwise it is simply colonialism, which is, of course an important part of the Western culture.
Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 05:10 PM   #5
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Hi Gustav,

I think Alan summed it up quite well in his last post on the Warangan thread . (pg 3 bottom)

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...?t=4598&page=3
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 05:20 PM   #6
Gustav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Hi Gustav,

I think Alan summed it up quite well in his last post on the Warangan thread . (pg 3 bottom)

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...?t=4598&page=3
Sorry, I missed it. Absolutely substantial.
Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote