Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th April 2005, 04:38 AM   #1
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Angry Now it's the Span-Am/Phil. bolo craze

Hang on to those 1900-1945 Philippine bolos!!! Even a pretty ordinary one can bring a bunch of dollars if you vaguely link it to the Span-Am War.

This one seemed to have a very tenuous link to that particular war but sold like it was a fully provenanced piece: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6523751341 Ouch!

Perhaps that one had something to do with the Philippine War of Independence from Spain, but that would not sell so well on eBay. It could just as easily have been a GI bring back from WWII.

I like the way the seller put the suggestion of a Span-Am connection up front, and then disavowed knowledge of an actual age in the description. Nice piece of marketing. It's not fraud, just good marketing.

'scuse me while I figure the additional insurance I'll need on the Span-Am War bolo collection under the bed.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2005, 02:50 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Cool WoW !! 39 BIDS !!

And to think how many times I have offered some of my older bolos from that era here in Swap with no response .

Go figure .

Anyway , now I'm Hearing the strains of "Someday my prince will come" running through my head .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2005, 03:44 PM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default No more Mr. Nice Guy, ...

Rick, now you know their real value, and how to add to your retirement fund in a substantial way ...

Seriously, though, I hope this auction is an aberration, because the collector in me is alarmed by the escalating prices of many edged weapons. Philippine knives and swords from this period are still fairly common and have a lot of character, but I'm not paying $200+ for any old bolo that might have been made in the last 100 years -- not unless it is much better quality or more significant historically than this one. Just my opinion. The market will do what the market will do.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2005, 05:26 PM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Arrow Ironic

Meanwhile these two Moro krisses in restorable condition went for reasonable money .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Go figure .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote