Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th February 2022, 03:38 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Default unusual Great lakes? African spear.

Short heavy stabbing spear. Made of two pieces secured at the brass sleeve. It is relatively heavy and although two parts very sturdy with excellent centre of balance, grip just below the ivory inlay. Notice the same spiral decoration as in the walking stick. It could be a repair, before I read the shout, but handling the spear I doubt it. Although two part spears are not unusual as in Massai spears, well three parts, point and shoe with wooden grip. This is somewhat different. Nice little iron twist at the shoe with some brass detail. The wood has a very pleasing patina. The blade having that central African z cross section and opposing blade sides decorated with black with iron scale. The blade is 9mm thick almost to half the length. What ever here it is.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2022, 05:40 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

Having had a bit more time to examine this spear I think the two pieces are connected by an iron rod into each part butted up and sleeved in brass. I have had and still have African material with similar construction.
Old 16th February 2022, 05:45 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

The baton is mine and has the iron rod construction. The adze is not mine but is the same construction.
Attached Images

Old 16th February 2022, 10:24 PM   #4
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

I suspect your piece was sawn in half to facilitate packing into someone's luggage. This was a common way for travelers to get spears back home. The repair was probably not done by a native craftsman.It's possible that your spear may have been longer and a central section was removed before the repair.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote