Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th July 2015, 06:20 PM   #1
Devadatta

As for me, it's not Uzbek and definetly not African. I see here typical Uyghur knife from Yangissar city
Devadatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2015, 08:06 PM   #2
DaveA

Default Uyghur?

Hello,

I'm very interested in why you are sure about this attribution. I know nothing of the Uyghur and will greatly appreciate any insight you can provide regarding the Uyghur and knives such as this one. Thank you.

B/r,

Dave A.
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2015, 10:10 PM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Devadatta:

Is not Yangissar City in Uzbekistan? Are you suggesting that the knife comes from Uzbekistan, but is tied ethnically to the Uyghurs? That is a very interesting and precise attribution.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2015, 11:28 PM   #4
Sancar

I have both contemporarily made Uygur and Özbek knives (bıçak) in my collection. Those knives are basically exactly the same, just like the Özbek and Uygur tribes of Karluk subbbranch of Turkic people those "bıçak"s come from. Basically a tomayto-tomahto situation IMHO
Sancar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2015, 08:16 AM   #5
kronckew

google 'uighur knives' (or 'uyghur knives') & select 'images', brings up a multitude of the knives they are famous for making right up to the present. many of them look like yours to greater or lesser extents. nice knife.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2015, 10:38 AM   #6
BANDOOK

Default FEW MODERN VERSIONS OF THESE KNIFES

Traditional Uzbek utility knife. Uzbek pchak knives are hand made by artisans and sold at bazaars in Uzbekistan (Central Asia). Blade is made of carbon SHH15 steel with “Tamga” Islamic marks (stars and half-moon). Roe deer antler handle
Traditional Uyghur utility knife. Uyghur pchak knives are hand made by artisans and sold at bazaars in different countries of Central Asia where Uyghur people live (Xinjiang, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan). Curved blade (kayik) is made of carbon SHH15 steel. Handle is made of brass with plastic middle part. Leather sheath.
CHEERS RAJESH
Attached Images

BANDOOK is offline   Reply With Quote