Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th August 2011, 12:57 PM   #1
Atlantia

Default Wakizashi in occupation period souvenir mounts? Advice needed pls.

Gentlemen,

Please take a look at this sword.
I've never seen anything quite like it, although the numerous applied Tokugawa mon are reminscent of mid 20thC tourist items (boxes and the like) that I've seen.
The hilt and scabbard are completely wrapped with silvered copper wire.
I've puzzled over how to get the balde out and discovered that the handle 'appears' to be one piece, and there looks like a ridge on the upper edge where the tangs outline is visible (poosibly). So I think it might be glued/fized into a slot cut from the top side then bound over the top with wire.
Which takes me to the blade. It looks to my inexpert eye to be a 'proper' Wakizashi blade not some piece of tourist junk.
In fact it looks relatively good and worth investigating to me.
Overall length from tsuba to tip is 457mm. Blade is 31mm x 5mm at start of edge.
So, do I potentially destroy the albeit crude mounts to investigate further?
Does the blade look good to you chaps?
Anyone seen mounts like this before?

Thanks in advance
Gene
Attached Images

Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 01:58 PM   #2
Rich

I've "heard" (can't verify) that these type swords were "Judges" swords or Magistrate swords from the Meiji period (at least the mounts). Basically badges of rank. It may be that the lower set of mon (nearest the fuchi) are screw type; also the top set may be also. Might try to see if the lower set unscrews and then try to remove the blade. I had one similar done is all brass mounts with the same mon all over it.

Rich S
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 02:28 PM   #3
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
I've "heard" (can't verify) that these type swords were "Judges" swords or Magistrate swords from the Meiji period (at least the mounts). Basically badges of rank. It may be that the lower set of mon (nearest the fuchi) are screw type; also the top set may be also. Might try to see if the lower set unscrews and then try to remove the blade. I had one similar done is all brass mounts with the same mon all over it.

Rich S
Hi Rich,
I've not heard of judges swords, but I had the same thought about the mon covering the peg holes when I first saw the sword.
Unfortunately they are pinned on and if there is a peg it must be under the wire binding.
Best
Gene
Attached Images

Last edited by Atlantia; 10th August 2011 at 12:24 PM.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote