Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th January 2011, 06:53 PM   #1
Lew
(deceased)

Default Simple Zulu walking stick

Just picked this up for under $20 on ebay .
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...T#ht_500wt_922

Life is good.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2011, 07:43 PM   #2
Ferguson

Sweet! Love the two-tone wood.

Steve
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2011, 07:57 PM   #3
kronckew

looks a lot like mine:

denser than water & hard as nails. i also got it from ebay at a bargain price - the seller knew not what he had...
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2011, 08:50 PM   #4
Nirghosa

What is the length? Looks more like a Massai Fimbo to me.
Nirghosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2011, 10:40 AM   #5
kronckew

mine is 32", lew's is listed at 37".
Old 31st January 2011, 07:05 PM   #6
TimW

the wood ressembles african blackwood (grenadil): the yellow part is the living sapwood / the dark is the core. It is wonderfull wood: hard sapwood, dense, nice to finish, ...

great bargain!
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2011, 10:33 PM   #7
Lew
(deceased)

Yes that two tone wood is my favorite here is another example I picked up. Funny these two tone woods can be either dark brown and tan or some come withe a more reddish hue to them.
Attached Images

Old 31st January 2011, 11:32 PM   #8
Nirghosa

Those with large round knobs on the ends are Knobkerries or Zulu walking sticks, but I would have to say those with a slightly tapered end are not Zulu but rather a common Fimbo.
My teacher spent much time with the Massai near Arusha learning to use the Fimbo.
http://tracelesswarrior.blogspot.com...ons-fimbo.html
Old 1st February 2011, 03:36 AM   #9
Lew
(deceased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirghosa
Those with large round knobs on the ends are Knobkerries or Zulu walking sticks, but I would have to say those with a slightly tapered end are not Zulu but rather a common Fimbo.
My teacher spent much time with the Massai near Arusha learning to use the Fimbo.
http://tracelesswarrior.blogspot.com...ons-fimbo.html
I still think these are Zulu or South African the fimbos just look a bit different to me

http://www.fighttimes.com/magazine/m...sp?article=787
Old 1st February 2011, 04:16 PM   #10
kronckew

the wood in these sticks does look more like the 'assegai wood*' from so. africa, my sticks wood looks more like my knobkerry:

*- 'assegai wood' is 'Curtisia dentata' (ref:link) More than you probably want to know about it:

Common names: assegai (Eng.); assegaai (Afr.); uSirayi, umGxina (Xhosa); umLahleni (Xhosa, Zulu); uMagunda, uMaginda, umBese, umPhephelelangeni (Zulu); iliNcayi, isiNwati (Sw); modula-tshwene (Northern Sotho); musangwe, mufhefhera (Venda)

Distribution:
The assegai grows in most of the forests in southern Africa and Swaziland, from sea level to 1 800 m. It ranges from the Cape Peninsula through the forest patches of the eastern Western Cape to the forests of the Knysna region, the Eastern Cape, KwaZulu-Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo and Swaziland. In the forest it is usually found in climax forest and grows into a tall tree with a clean, unbuttressed bole. It also grows on grassy mountain slopes and in coastal scrub forest where it is a small bushy tree.

Uses & cultural information:
The timber of the assegai is good, strong and durable and has been exploited since the earliest colonial days, particularly for wagon-making-so much so that thousands must have been felled and a well-grown mature tree is still uncommon in our forests. The timber is reddish, turning red-brown with age and somewhat resembles mahogany, and is extremely tough, strong and elastic with a fine grain. As dry assegai shrinks less than most other woods, it made the best spokes of any Cape wood, and was also valuable for felloes (curved strips joined together to form the rim of a wheel). It was also used by the Voortrekkers to make axles for their wagons, and was popular too for other wagon parts, tool handles, furniture, rafters and flooring.

Derivation of the name & historical information:
Curtisia is a genus of only one species. It belongs in the Cornaceae (dogwood family), a small family of about 15 genera most of which occur in the temperate parts of the northern hemisphere. The most well-known genus is Cornus, the decorative dogwoods. Curtisia is the only southern African member of the family, and has no close relatives in southern Africa. The family gets its name from its typically hard timber, from the Latin cornu meaning horn, alluding to the hardness of the wood.

Toothed leavesCurtisia is named in honour of William Curtis (1746-1799), founder of Curtis's Botanical Magazine, first published in 1786 and still going today. The specific name dentata is Latin for toothed, and refers to the toothed leaves.

The common name assegai, is derived from the Arabic name azzaghayah, that was adopted by the Portuguese, with various modifications of spelling, and taken over by the early Dutch writers. This name was already recorded, in modern spelling, in 1625, and in 1652, Van Riebeeck referred to hassegaayen used by the natives for spears and bows. It is commonly supposed that Curtisia dentata got this common name because the shafts of assegais were once made of the wood, as Thunberg wrote in 1774, 'The Assagay tree is used for poles of wagons and as shafts for the Hottentot's javelins' (Palmer & Pitman 1972). But some dispute this and think that the name is from the resemblance of the leaves to an assegai blade and that the assumption that the wood was used to make assegais comes from the name-something of a chicken-and-egg situation, which remains unresolved. Nevertheless, this name was first recorded for Curtisia dentata in 1662 in Wagenaer's forest survey which mentions hazegaijen boomen hout (Smith 1966). To add a touch of romance to the debate, trees of this family have an ancient connection with spear-making. The shaft of the spear that Romulus flung towards the Palatine Hill when marking the boundaries of Rome is supposed to have been of a dogwood, popularly known as the cornelian cherry. By tradition, the Trojan Horse was also carved from this tree. So, trees of this family have had quite an impact on history, providing spears for Roman soldiers and possibly also African warriors, and shaping the history of Troy, and providing wood for the wagons that opened up the interior of South Africa.
Old 1st February 2011, 10:39 PM   #11
Nirghosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew
I still think these are Zulu or South African the fimbos just look a bit different to me

http://www.fighttimes.com/magazine/m...sp?article=787
Those with the large knob are South African. Those with elegantly tapered ends like in the collective pic of your link, are Fimbo. The Fimbo is much more common.
Old 6th February 2011, 07:20 PM   #12
Tim Simmons

Just plucked this little fancy, 32 inches long. I liked the hide grip. I estimate the ball as 3 inches x 2 3/4 so a nice club. Quite a bit more than 20$.

I also post this picture from "the MAASAI, SANKAN, Kenya Litrerature Bureau Nairobi 1971" the only old picture I have in recent terms. You can see under the chaps knee that the club widens rather like the ones in this post.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2011, 09:41 PM   #13
Lew
(deceased)

Tim I had my eye on that one Congrats. My guess is that it is a Swazi club due to the hide grip.