Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th January 2014, 10:30 PM   #1
apolaki

Default Dayak bead composite handle?

Hello,

I bought this piece at a market in central Java. The seller told me it is a handle for a keris. But I saw a similar piece for sale online that described it as a Dayak bead composite handle for a traditional weapon. They described how beads are recycled as opposed to thrown away and molded into spirit figures such as this. Does anyone have more information regarding age and cultural use? Thanks!
Attached Images

Last edited by Robert; 28th January 2014 at 12:24 AM.
apolaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 04:01 PM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

THIS DOES APPEAR TO BE A KERIS HANDLE AND I THINK I HAVE SEEN SOME OF THESE FOR SALE SOMEWHERE. UNFORTUNATELY THATS ABOUT ALL I KNOW ABOUT THIS FORM. WHAT IS IT MADE OF AND ARE THERE REAL BEADS INSET OR JUST PAINTED ON.?
OLD BEADS ARE TREASURED AND PASSED DOWN OR TRADED WITHIN THE DAYAK SOCIETY. BEADWORK HAS ACHIEVED QUITE AN IMPRESSIVE ART IN BORNEO AND IS USED FOR HATS, BABY CARRIERS AND SWORD DECORATIONS. OFTEN THE DESIGNS ARE PROTECTIVE IN NATURE AS WELL AS BEAUTIFUL TO LOOK AT. OLDER LARGE BEADS ARE USED TOO USUALLY IN JEWLRY OR SUSPENDED PENDENT STYLE FROM ITEMS.
YOU MAY HAVE BETTER LUCK IF THIS POST IS MOVED TO THE KERIS FORUM. GOOD LUCK.
A PICTURE OF A DAYAK BABY CARRIER WITH LARGE BEADS AS WELL AS SMALLER TYPES OF BEADWORK.
Attached Images

Last edited by VANDOO; 28th January 2014 at 04:21 PM.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote