ariel

Default Indo-Tibetan?

Just ended.
http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/...lenotsupported
Any thoughts?
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 02:58 PM   #2
RSWORD

That is an unusual hilt on an otherwise pure Indian piece. The only Tibetan quality I see in this piece is that the pommel is trifoiled like those on Tibetan swords but nothing else in the hilt hints at Tibetan so I think this is a coincidence rather than an influence. I think it is pure Indian with a very unusual one of a kind hilt.
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 08:34 PM   #3
rand

Am in agreement with Rsword about the tri-lobed pommel being the only part similar to Tibetan, that is if you want to credit Tibet with that design element. The guard and the grip have a American bowie sort of look to them, but thats reaching for something. Its a puzzling object, thats for sure.

rand
rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 05:35 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I agree with Rick, this sword seems to have the distinctly recognizable Tibetan trefoil pommel from the 'ke tri' swords, and the guard which is clearly intended to complete the theme en suite with the pommel has some remote recollection of a Chinese jian. The horn grip seems quite atypical as do the inlays.
That the sword is most likely Indian, as described, seems reflected by the blade, and in Pant (p.83), the type of blade which has representations of various incarnations of Vishnu chiselled in low relief, in seven compartments, is termed a 'dashavatari' talwar. While this blade is clearly chiselled halfway, the style seems in accord, and the deeply multichanneled remainder of the blade is reminiscent of Persian blades, especially with the pronounced yelman.

This sword seems clearly ceremonial, and I am wondering if possibly it might be a votive piece, and it does seem 19th century.

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote