Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd March 2012, 01:45 PM   #1
weapons 27

Default kyber for comments

could you deliver your opinions to me on this kyber. it measures 67cm length. is the handle in bone… engravings have it a significance?

thank you
Attached Images

weapons 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2012, 03:59 PM   #2
AJ1356

looks nice, the engravings are nice as well, from pics I can't say if the engravingd are new or wer made at the begining. Th handle could be new or as a whole the piece could be under 100 years old. does it come with a scabard?
AJ1356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2012, 04:24 PM   #3
weapons 27

no have scabard
Old 22nd March 2012, 08:42 PM   #4
Stan S.

Engraving certainly do have their significance! Most khyber knives are plan or sparcely decorated. This blade on the other hand is quite lavish. I also doubt that these engravings are a new addition. Unfortunately, same can not be said about the hilt. To me it looks like the entire hilt had been replaced, and possibly quite recently. Even if the framework for the hilt and the bolster are old, grip scales appear to be rather new.

In any case, the blade makes up for a rather simple hilt. You should try etching it - it may turn out to pleasantly surprise you
Stan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 07:59 PM   #5
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by weapons 27
could you deliver your opinions to me on this kyber. it measures 67cm length. is the handle in bone… engravings have it a significance?

thank you

Salaams weapons 27 ~ Looks nice with a tree of life pattern forward of the hilt and arabesque scroll down the back edge ~ These are swords really and used like a butchers cleaver and have the ability to thrust effectively. The Khyber knife follows the same shape essentially but is about a foot long... Im not sure about the hilt... it could be new~ its an easy enough thing to have refurbished on a blade there... You should be able to tell looking at the rivet heads. The difficulty is deciding when the blade was worked upon... recent or old...
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 01:56 AM   #6
Stan S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams weapons 27 ~ Looks nice with a tree of life pattern forward of the hilt and arabesque scroll down the back edge ~ These are swords really and used like a butchers cleaver and have the ability to thrust effectively. The Khyber knife follows the same shape essentially but is about a foot long... Im not sure about the hilt... it could be new~ its an easy enough thing to have refurbished on a blade there... You should be able to tell looking at the rivet heads. The difficulty is deciding when the blade was worked upon... recent or old...
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Not to derail this thread but could you please explain how you judge item's age by looking at the rivets? I understand that if they are shiny or otherwise new looking, it may be a cause for concern. But are you referring to something else?
Stan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 02:44 AM   #7
Lew
(deceased)

Your khyber knife seems that it was reworked back in the 1930s-40s. The condition of the rivets is secondary. The scroll work on the blade is of good quality.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 02:56 PM   #8
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan S.
Not to derail this thread but could you please explain how you judge item's age by looking at the rivets? I understand that if they are shiny or otherwise new looking, it may be a cause for concern. But are you referring to something else?
Salaams Stan S. Yes you are probably right~ I can't see clearly enough the detail of the hilt but if new rivets are in place sometimes that indicates a newly worked hilt. (why would that derail the thread?) I was in Kabul last year watching a reworked blade in progress. Once completed you will have great difficulty knowing when the work was done within 50 years ! they use all the old original tools and processes their grandfathers used... The rivets only give an indication thats all. This is probably an old blade with reworked decoration...the hilt may be reworked... Its a nice piece.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 05:25 PM   #9
weapons 27

does the handle seem to me old, the rivets are not recent, but is 50 years old close difficult to know?