Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st September 2024, 04:26 PM   #1
Interested Party

Default Union 1860 Field and Staff Officer Sword?

This was my first real sword. My grandfather bought it for me at a flea market when I was 10 or 12 for $10 or less. He loved that I had an interest in history like him. My mother did not appreciate it and it had to live in the basement It has lived in the upstairs of my Dad's house with his books for the last 30 years. I forgot to measure it when I visited and took the pictures. My guess is around 28". Sorry. I should move it to my small collection someday but that will be kinda sad.

It is very beat up. It looks like a couple of kids banged two edges together for many hours. Or possibly a prop sword for a theater company. So. 1) do we think it is a 1860 union sword? It has a pommel identical to the Model 1860s on page 138 of Bezdek's Swords of the American Civil War. It is an amalgamation of the features of several of the examples. There is no makers mark to be seen, though it could easily be hidden behind the shell guard. 2) The guard says AOH. Do you think these were the owner's initials or a unit? In my early 20s I got the notion in my head that ii stood for the Ancient Order of Hibernia.

Any feedback or ideas are welcome!
Attached Images

Interested Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2024, 05:06 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

No this is not a union staff or field officer's sword. Their blades were much wider, often having etching on them.

The hilt type was used well into the 1880s.

This might be an old theatre sword, a Civil War Veteran's convention sword, or, more likely, a societal sword.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2024, 07:38 AM   #3
Interested Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara View Post
No this is not a union staff or field officer's sword. Their blades were much wider, often having etching on them.

The hilt type was used well into the 1880s.

This might be an old theatre sword, a Civil War Veteran's convention sword, or, more likely, a societal sword.
Thanks. I think you are right. I forget the power of the internet sometimes and get tunnel vision for print media. I know it is ironic to say this on an internet forum.
Old 2nd September 2024, 07:54 AM   #4
drdavid

Ancient Order of Hibernians
https://www.faganarms.com/products/a...bernians-sword
drdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2024, 04:01 PM   #5
Interested Party

Thanks for the responses Battara and DrDavid. The sword is really beat up, but I've had it a long time. DrDavid thanks for the conformation that it is a Hibernian society sword. I stumbled upon that sight but wasn't sure if I could post it. There seem to be quite a few of these swords out there. I haven't found a conclusive date for how long they were made. This pattern seems to be similar to the Convention swords that Battara mentioned. Does that put an estimated date of 1880-1900 on the sword? It was well made and spring steel.

I always found the history of the AOH and the Molly Maguires fascinating. Down to Alexander Campbell's handprint!