Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th December 2011, 11:02 PM   #1
lrb1200

Default Moro Kris?

Thank you in advance for your time,

I am new to this discipline of study, my endeavors around edged weapons has been primarily focused to nihonto. I was steered to this web site by an individual who sang the praises of knowledge concerning these treasures of history.
In my possession is what appears to me to be a Moro Kris ( simply a guess) that my father who served in the pacific until the end of WWII brought back with other artifacts.
I perceive this blade is filled with innuendos to be appreciated that I have no cognizance of, and I am looking for understanding, I also realize this is no small request of knowledge, given my level of devotion to the study.
The innuendos associated with the appreciation of this type of blade elude me, and again I humbly submit it for your knowledge.
The blade itself is 23 in., the engravings on it are a mystery as is the the manor of which the handle is mounted to the blade,and the waves close to the hilt. These questions and the age and origin are what I seek as a platform to understand what this blade is.

Respectfully
Leonard
Attached Images

lrb1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2011, 03:47 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

Welcome to our little forum! Well for starters it seems to be a 1940s kris with aluminum bands on the hilt. The piece also seems to be from the Maranao tribe (on Mindanao Island) with a Tausug (Sulu archepalego) blade. The designs on the blade are called ukkil in Sulu and some say that they are decorative while others say talismanic. I lean more toward the decorative at this point. Of the three types of blade, wavy, straight, and half wavy half straight, it is obviously the latter.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2011, 12:54 PM   #3
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrb1200
...snip... I am new to this discipline of study, ...snip...
Hi Leonard
welcome here, and don't be worry, one day, we have been all of us new, in our discipline
now you started, it's the beginning of a long sickness
welcome among us

à +

Dom
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2011, 03:58 PM   #4
laEspadaAncha

Hello Leonard,

Without committing to the impossible-to-find and prohibitively expensive study published on Moro weaponry, you might find Swish of the Kris to be an enjoyable read that would impart a deeper appreciation for the warrior culture of the Moro. Welcome to the forum...

Cheers,

Chris
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2011, 05:03 PM   #5
Lew
(deceased)

I agree with Battara definately a mid to late 1940s kris. Below was a small kris that was in my collection some years ago which was brought back at the end of WW2. It exhibits the same style and workmanship as the big one you have.
Attached Images

Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2011, 05:07 PM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Swish of the Kris used to be available to read online; I see that it has now been reprinted .

Anyway, lots of good stuff in the archives here .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2011, 05:15 PM   #7
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Swish of the Kris used to be available to read online; I see that it has now been reprinted .
Swish of the Kris online read...
http://www.russbo.com/files/book/KRIS.pdf
You might also want to seek out a copy of Moro Sword by Robert Cato, but a copy of this out of print book usually does not sell for less than $100 and sometimes more.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2011, 05:11 PM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew
It exhibits the same style and workmanship as the big one you have.
I'd dare say that this example of yours exhibits a somewhat higher level of workmanship than the one Leonard posted.
David is offline   Reply With Quote