Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old Today, 11:36 AM   #1
ebuhamza135

Default Question about "scimitars"

Hello I am new in this forum. I am interested were there any "scimitar" like swords used in Islamicate worls thriugh history. By scimitar I am talking about the type of curved sword stereotypical in movies and video games for middle easterners. I heard about it being a fictional sword because western Europeans allegedly draw it falsely during the crusades, but I have seen quite a few miniatures from Islamicate world were the warriors/soldiers are using a "stereotypical scimitar". So I am interested is there any proof for such a sword in Islamicate world, or are those just badly drawnk Kilijes.

Also I saw this Indian sword that kinda looks like the stereotypical scimitar, what do you think? Are there any more?

ebuhamza135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:02 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Welcome to the Ethnographic Forum, ebuhamza135, and thank you for your question. I hope you enjoy your time here.

As I think you are aware, the word "scimitar" does not occur in the Muslim world. What is popularly depicted as a "scimitar" is a falchion-like sword with a blade that widens toward the tip and has a prominent clip. More generally, the term seems to have been applied to curved sabers that were used primarily as slashing weapons, rather than stabbing swords used commonly by western Europeans. Curved swords with convex edges were very common in Islamic cultures, and there are numerous words to describe them.

We have several experts on Islamic swords here who will no doubt be along shortly to help you with your question.

Regards,

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
middle east