Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th March 2005, 08:51 PM   #1
ariel

Default Exceptional Shashka

Gentemen, look what Artzi got for a paltry sum of $22,100!
All the little fishes and small time-operators emptying their bank accounts at $10-15K can just bite their elbows!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
Can somebody put the actual pics on the thread to preserve them in perpetuity?
This is the most exceptional shashka I've ever seen!
Similar blades are shown in Astvatsaturyan's book "Turkish Weapons", pp.95-101.
The origin of these blades (all made of high-class Damascus) is mysterious.
The Greek inscription suggests Orthodox origin. However:
1.Virgin Mary's hair is uncovered which was unacceptable to the Eastern churches
2. The crown carried by the two little cherubs is Western
3. Cherubs themselves are of Western character: head with 2 wings
4. Holy Spirit is positioned upside down, also Western motif
5. The flower held by Virgin Mary,a symbol of "eternal bloom", is an Italian motif that moved to Italian Greeks at the end of XVII cen and only later to Greece proper.
Apparently, translation of Greek inscriptions on similar blades has some Serbian elements and the overall decoration is very similar to the ceremonial dress of the Archbishop( Mitropolit) of Constantinople, Dionysios.
The overall conclusion is that there is nothing Greek in these blades except the inscription and that they were made in Constantinople (Istanbul) at the end of XVII cen. or thereabouts. Two similar blades in Russian museums are dated 1685 and 1692.
The funny thing is that all the other similar blades are mounted as shamshirs/kilijes. This one is a Shashka.
The niello decoration is very much Circassian, with the prevailing motif of "Ram's horn" and none of the repousse of the mass production from Kubachi. Circassians were exiled from their native land by the Russians in the middle of the 19th cen. and settled in Turkey, Syria and Palestine. There are still Cicassian villages in Israel (they, like the Druzes, serve in the Israeli military) and they are traditional bodyguards of the Hashemite kings of Jordan.
I think that this very old blade was remounted in the 19th cen. by a Circassian master, whether in Turkey (most likely) or elsewhere, including the Caucasus.
The only thing I can say is.... very quiet "wow"
I do not even have a trace of envy: this is just not my universe....
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2005, 09:27 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up

Pictures have been saved Ariel .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2005, 10:15 PM   #3
spiral

I wonder if the fellow who bid $101 dollars kept track of the auction?
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2005, 10:34 PM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking

I wonder if the fellow who sold it had any idea of the price it would fetch .
Old 26th March 2005, 02:04 AM   #5
Rivkin

Thank you very much for all this info on this shashka !

am I right in thinking that it's your opinion that the hilt is a circassian from Turkey work, post-exile ?
Rivkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2005, 09:17 AM   #6
Yannis

Ariel,

You have made a lot of remarkable comments on this shashka. Allow me to say my opinions.

1. This blade is definitely remounted. From an elaborate shamshir (possibly) to a plain shashka.

2. Orthodox iconography was not so static as it is commonly belief. Good artists used a lot of expressions and techniques. Virgin Mary’s hair is uncovered. It is not forbidden, it is most unusual.

3. There is a certain western influence in the icons, but only an art historian can tell and I am not.

4. After the fall of Constantinople (1453) some Greek aristocrats and scholars moved to Italy where they remained orthodox but they exchange styles of art with the Catholics.

5. Until Greek revolution (1821), the high rank Greek officials of the Sultan had the right to carry swords with Christian symbols. After that it was forbidden. This blade was not made anywhere in Ottoman empire after 1821, and if you carried it you were a rebel.

6. They were a lot of Greek officers in Tsars army. Also there are Greeks living in Caucasus from ancient times till today.

7. The script is definitely Greek. Not only the lettering but the words. We have a special Greek word for Madonna “Panagia” meaning “All saint” that I think only Greeks use it.

8. The script is written with capital Byzantine letters but the words and the grammar is not Byzantine, it is later. This script is in use till today for church reasons.

9. It says: “Panagia mother of God help your slave (servant) year ….”. The big question for me is this year. I can’t decipher it and I have tried anything I could.

10. There are two ways to read the letters after “year” and some more ways to read the numerals. It is very complicated to explain here, but they don’t lead me anywhere. If it was mine I would ask a byzantinologist help.

11. My conclusion is that the blade made between 1600 and 1800 for a rich Greek man who could afford eastern Damascus and exceptional iconography. Later, most possible after Greek revolution, the blade arrived in Caucasus. The new owner (maybe a child of the same family) remounted the blade to local style. Why he did that? Maybe the original hilt and the scabbard were destroyed, or he didn’t want to show off. Who knows? After that the story goes like other Caucasian weapons.

12. I wrote “a child of the same family” for two reasons. First “nationalistic” speaking, the Greeks don’t give their ancestors weapons except they are forced to. Second, rich Greek families in Ottoman era because of the instability of their status used to spread their belongings in more countries. It was not uncommon the same family to have business in Italy, Turkey and Russia the same time.
Yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2005, 11:58 AM   #7
Oriental-Arms

Default Exceptional Sword

Dear Friends
Thanks for all the congratulations here (and the millions I received in the mail). We purchased this sword in partnership with a colleague collector. As soon as we receive it, we will examine it thoroughly and I promise a full report on the forum
Thanks again
Oriental-Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2005, 03:09 PM   #8
Bill M

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Pictures have been saved Ariel .
Ummh Rick, could you post the pictures?

It sure looked like the guy did not know waht he had. Apparently bidding started at around a hundred dollars. Bet he is happpy!
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2005, 04:39 PM   #9
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Marsh
Ummh Rick, could you post the pictures?

It sure looked like the guy did not know waht he had. Apparently bidding started at around a hundred dollars. Bet he is happpy!
Hi Bill , since Artzi has promised us a report on this newest acquisition I think I will leave it up to him to post the relevant pictures .
Old 26th March 2005, 04:42 PM   #10
tom hyle

Yeah he is!
Yannis, would it be possible a Greek immigrant was in Russian service and had it remounted for some sort of Russian military requirements? A lot of armies in the early modern era would regulate hilt style, scabbard covering, and things like that, but people still provided or could provide their own blades and their own work. I haven't seen the pics, actually (the link doesn't work right for me for some reason), and I take it it's real fancy, but if he were an officer/prince?...
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2005, 04:52 PM   #11
spiral

Bill, the sellers bidding price started at $1.

I look forward to the full your report Artzi, it should be enlightening for me..

lovely piece!

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2005, 09:57 PM   #12
ariel

Yannis and Tom,
Every potential scenario we all advanced here is just an exercise in fantasy: nobody knows how this incredible and very old blade got married the Circassian hilt.
I am glad you all agree that it was a "second marriage".
I am still watching the pics and awe-ing......
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2005, 09:40 AM   #13
eftihis

Just in case the sword has been received and Artzi was too busy for the report, i am writting here to remind that matter.
I still havent seen yet the pictures!!!
eftihis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2008, 01:35 AM   #14
Gavin Nugent

Default I too am wanting to see this

Some 4 years on and I too am wanting to see this sword???? has it been posted else where, what ever happened?

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote