Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th January 2010, 10:19 AM   #1
M ELEY

Default Treatment of old leather

I know this has probably been asked a million times before, but a general search of the archives didn't find an exact answer for me. I was just wondering what others do to keep their leather grips in good form. I have heard mink oil works good, likewise leather boot polish or even auto seat polish. Frankly, most naval weapons I collect don't have leather, but now that I have one, I'm interested in other's opinions. (I always feel so selfish when I ask questions like this- , but hopefully others may benefit as well).
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 11:30 AM   #2
Ian Knight

I always use a product called 'Pecard Antique Leather Care' for my leather sword grips as do many other collectors.
Below is the company's product description:

"Pecard Antique Leather Care is the safest and longest lasting leather care on the market for old, neglected or abused leather. Recognized as the premier antique leather care for decades, it remains the foolproof and cost-efficient answer to antique leather conservation. Once properly applied (and in the amounts the leather needs), Pecard Antique Leather Care provides the deep moisturizing and lubricity necessary for old leather to resist ageing. It only takes an occasional touchup on the surface to protect the leather from the effects of surface oxidation. Used by museums and collectors everywhere, Pecard Antique Leather Care is the gold standard for antique leather conservation."

http://www.pecard.com/index.html

Ian

Last edited by Ian Knight; 27th January 2010 at 01:11 PM.
Ian Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 01:26 PM   #3
M ELEY

Opps...
Old 27th January 2010, 01:27 PM   #4
M ELEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Knight
I always use a product called 'Pecard Antique Leather Care' for my leather sword grips as do many other collectors.
Below is the company's product description:

"Pecard Antique Leather Care is the safest and longest lasting leather care on the market for old, neglected or abused leather. Recognized as the premier antique leather care for decades, it remains the foolproof and cost-efficient answer to antique leather conservation. Once properly applied (and in the amounts the leather needs), Pecard Antique Leather Care provides the deep moisturizing and lubricity necessary for old leather to resist ageing. It only takes an occasional touchup on the surface to protect the leather from the effects of surface oxidation. Used by museums and collectors everywhere, Pecard Antique Leather Care is the gold standard for antique leather conservation."

http://www.pecard.com/index.html

Ian
Thanks, Ian. Sounds like good stuff and I'll consider it. Say, you wouldn't happen to be the company owner's brother, now would you??
Old 27th January 2010, 01:49 PM   #5
Ian Knight

Not to my knowledge.

Ian
Ian Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 04:39 PM   #6
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Is there room for one more sugestion?

I was told wonders about Ballistol, by an antique weapons seller and collector, and also a hunter. This product covers the various areas.

http://www.ballistol.com/

He also advices the use of castor oil, when not having Ballistol at hand.

Fernando
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 05:56 PM   #7
celtan

You first debride the surface gently with Windex, let dry, then dye as needed, let dry, then apply Peccard's

Some have advised using linseed oil.

If its fishskin, use olive oil.

M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M ELEY
I know this has probably been asked a million times before, but a general search of the archives didn't find an exact answer for me. I was just wondering what others do to keep their leather grips in good form. I have heard mink oil works good, likewise leather boot polish or even auto seat polish. Frankly, most naval weapons I collect don't have leather, but now that I have one, I'm interested in other's opinions. (I always feel so selfish when I ask questions like this- , but hopefully others may benefit as well).
celtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 01:29 AM   #8
M ELEY

Thanks, gents. I'll definitely try several products on some old leather boots of mine to see the results. Thanks again...
Old 1st February 2010, 09:09 PM   #9
junker

Default balistol

Hi,
I heard of balistol as good choise too.
But i also heard it had a sort of coroding efect on brass.
So you might be careful when there is a sort of wired grip
best regards
Dirk

P.S. Balistol could also help your stomach (I just heard this also, never tried myself) ;-))
junker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2010, 09:21 PM   #10
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by junker
... P.S. Balistol could also help your stomach (I just heard this also, never tried myself) ;-))
I have just reveived a spray can; i swear i won't swallow it .
Fernando
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2010, 11:11 PM   #11
stephen wood

...I am wondering how to clean the dust and dirt from this targe before I apply the Pecard Leather Dressing - if I put the Pecard on straight away won't I just be rubbing the dirt in...

Any suggestions?
Attached Images

stephen wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2010, 05:42 AM   #12
M ELEY

Wow, Stephen, that's an amazing and rare piece! I'll fold to the other experts in leather cleaning on this one. Just wanted to compliment your shield. I'm NOT an expert on Scot armor, but are you sure this is a targe? It resembles some of the rhino hide African (Sudanese) shields I've seen-
Old 2nd February 2010, 04:40 PM   #13
celtan

Exactly so,

Use Windex, an electric pulse-toothbrush with a light touch, let dry, then Peccard's

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wood
...I am wondering how to clean the dust and dirt from this targe before I apply the Pecard Leather Dressing - if I put the Pecard on straight away won't I just be rubbing the dirt in...

Any suggestions?
celtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2010, 05:04 PM   #14
stephen wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by M ELEY
Wow, Stephen, that's an amazing and rare piece! I'll fold to the other experts in leather cleaning on this one. Just wanted to compliment your shield. I'm NOT an expert on Scot armor, but are you sure this is a targe? It resembles some of the rhino hide African (Sudanese) shields I've seen-
...actually it is a Somali shield - a Gaashaan - but I call it a targe because it's the most accurate English word to describe it. There is even one in Braveheart...
stephen wood is offline   Reply With Quote