Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th October 2008, 12:49 AM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default Checkering and carving ... on a small shotgun

A slender example for small game. I had it filed as a boy's piece, but i suddenly concluded that, as its length is the same as a current shotgun (1,20 mt), it is instead an adult weapon for light game, with its 12 m/m calibre and elegant stock.
As already aproached in another thread, the carving of game related motives, was a current fashion in the XIX century.
The figure in this one appears to be a dog with a mane, with its tongue sticking out ... till a better judgement pops up. Amazing, the eyes made with red beads and black dots. Also interesting is the twist texture of the barrel.
Good thing as well, is that the original wooden ramrod still exists.
Fernando

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2008, 01:15 AM   #2
clockwork

fernando I dont think it a dog the ears look wrong I would go with a lion since it appears to be a mane behind the head or a bear because of the nose
clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2008, 07:15 AM   #3
kahnjar1

12mm equates to the English .410 calibre shotgun. Popularly described as a "Ladies Gun" in this size, but also used as a (very) small game gun. Not really of much use, as the amount of shot thrown from the small cartridge/muzzleload did not spread that well at anything over about 20 yards. More likely to wound game than kill.
My first impression of that carving was that it is a fish!
Another very nice piece Fernando. Really must try to visit your "museum" one day.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2008, 02:45 PM   #4
Pukka Bundook

Little light gun wouldn't tire you out carrying it around anyway!
Does it have Belgian proof-marks, Fernando?

It looks like it was once full-stocked, as the pipes are mounted on the barrel, with no under-rib.

Stu,
I think you're more or less right about the fish. This design was quite popular in Belgium and France, and is sometimes a fish, or sea - serpent, or a dolphin.
Sometimes teeth are added in ivory or bone.
On occasion, you see the "fish" is actually "swallowing" the stock...as in, the wrist of the stock appears to be protruding from the fishes mouth.

Although a small calibre, it would be good for knocking over the odd rabbit for supper!

Richard.

Ps,
The barrel looks like Bernard twist, ...a good quality Belgian damascus .
Pukka Bundook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2008, 07:48 PM   #5
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Thank you Tony, Stu and Richard .

I wouldn't say that the stock has ever been longer, but surely the provision for a ramrod was a later addition to the barrel, with its two brass pipes of slightly different dimensions.
The trigger guard and caps case are in German silver which, together with the damascus barrel, denote a certain degree of quality, i would say.
Mind you Stu, the 12 mm caliber equates more to .50" range, to be precise.
Still i wait for your visit to my cave
I agree with Richard that this caliber was (and is) enough for small game ... not only rabbits but more certainly birds ... snipes and so ? i am no hunting expert . However i remember going bird hunting with a friend, with a 9 mm cartridge shotgun his father has acquired in the Brussels exhibition.
So the carved figure would be either a dog, a lion, a bear, a fish or a dolphin . I would by now easier 'swallow' a multi faceted monster, with a bit of all sugested animals
Thanks a lot for the hint on the Bernard twist, Richard.
Unfortunately there are no marks in this piece.
Thank you all again, guys.
Fernando
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote