Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th August 2011, 05:44 PM   #1
rickystl

Default Spanish Pistol for I.D.

Hello all. My latest aquisition. This Spanish miquelet lock pistol is supposedly the work of one Bustindui of Spain. I know there was a lot of these personal protection type belt pistols made around the turn of the 19th Century. This little pistol is in better condition than most I've seen. Only one small chip on the stock near the muzzle, from a long time ago. And a nice age patina. Anyway, can anyone locate the Bustindui name in their research material? I'm trying to date this pistol. My guess is about 1800?? Any help most appreciated. Thanks, Rick.
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2011, 06:37 PM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Hi Rick,
Bustindui is the name of four barrel makers from Basque Guipúzcoa.
Agustin Bustindui was the older one and died before 1795. The other three were possibly his sons and disciples:
Agustin Bustindui Ruis, who had a barrel made and mounted on a shotgun with the date 1802.
Juan Esteban Bustindui, mentioned as an outstanding smith, having made the finest barrels, was recorded by a writer who visited him in 1791.
Santos Bustindui, who might have also worked in Eibar but was known as having been worked in Valencia in 1810.
Based on Lavin's book, apparently only Juan Esteban and Santos had punction marks. The crowned initials one on your barrel 'resemble' those of Juan Esteban, but the second punction with a rampant lion is missing right below. On the other hand, the crowned initials should be placed in three rows: BVS TIN DVI.
You should also consider that, famous smiths like this family often had their marks faked by others.

-
Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2011, 10:58 PM   #3
rickystl

Hi Fernando. As usual, thank you so much for the information. Interesting family history of gun/barrel smiths. I don't think I'm going out on a limb dating this piece around 1800? Thanks again, Rick.
Old 15th August 2011, 12:49 AM   #4
kahnjar1

I see that Fernando has already given you some dates for Bustindui. The information I have is as follows:
Agostino Bustindui 1740-1802. Worked in Eibar and Madrid. In Madrid he worked in the gunshop with Joaquin Zelaya (Gunmaker to Ferdinand VI, circa 1753-1760). A presentation pair of pistols to Ferdinand VII of Spain are now in the Real Armeria in Madrid.
Juan Esteban Bustindui, son of Agostino, worked 1800-1827.
The four marks shown in the last pic of your pistol barrel are those shown as being used by Bustindui, the top one which looks like a cross sitting on a coathanger, is that of Agostino.
This information from 100 Great Guns by Merrill Lindsay.
Regards Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 01:14 AM   #5
rickystl

Thanks Stu. Very useful information. Identifications such as this is one of the great benefits of this Forum. Thanks again. Rick.
Old 15th August 2011, 02:17 AM   #6
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickystl
Thanks Stu. Very useful information. Identifications such as this is one of the great benefits of this Forum. Thanks again. Rick.
Hi Rick, On looking at the thread again, I suspect that the pistol with the 4 marks is not in fact yours???, but it DOES show the correct marks for Bustindui.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 04:08 PM   #7
fernando

Hi Stu,

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Hi Rick, On looking at the thread again, I suspect that the pistol with the 4 marks is not in fact yours???, but it DOES show the correct marks for Bustindui.
Stu
You will notice this is a picture i inserted of a fine fowling piece, attached to my post #2, to show Rick the two Bustindui's punction marks.
The 'cross sitting on a coat hanger' (Latin cross) is a common decor, similar to those used by other masters.
Old 16th August 2011, 04:09 PM   #8
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickystl
... I don't think I'm going out on a limb dating this piece around 1800? ...
I would certainly think so! ... a few years more, maybe?
Old 16th August 2011, 06:09 PM   #9
rickystl

Thanks Fernando. Rick.