Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd June 2009, 05:08 AM   #1
ganjawulung

Default CARUBAN NAGARI and CIREBON

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Pak Ganja, I wonder if you could clarify something for me.

You advise that Cirebon was the first Islamic kingdom in Jawa.

Can you quote your reference for this information?

Prof. Dr. Slamet Muljana seems to think that Demak was the first Islamic kingdom in Jawa,and that the Islamic Kingdom Cirebon was established with the assistance of forces from Demak. In fact, prior to reading your post, my readings of other sources all seemed to confirm this.Agreed that Cirebon did exist prior to the establishment of an Islamic Kingdom at that place, and agreed that Islam had a presence in the area of Cirebon prior to the kingdom being established. However, first sultan of Cirebon was Sunan Gunung Jati who died in 1570.

Raden Patah was responsible for the construction of the Mesjid Agung Demak, and according to the chronogram at Lawang Bledheg, that mosque already existed in 1466.

Your advice that Cirebon preceded Demak as an Islamic kingdom is quite surprising. Is this new information due to recent discoveries of which I am unaware?

Your references would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
(Although this thread is not directly related to keris world, but I think I need to clarify this, as requested by Mr Alan G Maisey)

Caruban Nagari

Dear Alan,
Yes, probably that was a mistake. But I could tell you why I mentioned Cirebon was the first Islamic Kingdom in Java. Probably it should be read better as “the keraton of Cirebon was formally built by an Islam Prince, Pangeran Cakrabuana or Rakean Walangsungsang in 1452 M – prior to the Demak Mesjid (mosque) that was built in 1466.”

Sunan Gunung Jati was the first Sultan of the Islamic Sultanate, and he used too the Istana Pakungwati – that was formerly built by Pangeran Cakrabuana, a Pajajaran prince. Actually, Pangeran Cakrabuana was regarded as the pioneer of the Cirebon Sultanate until now…

I would like to write my explanation a bit chronologically. I have read a documentation – which quoted an official source of Publication Catalog of National Library of Republic of Indonesia (Printed by Perum Percetakan Negara RI 2003) that told about the history of Caruban Nagari -- old name of Cirebon, before becoming Sultanate of Cirebon under their first Sultan Syarif Hidayatullah the then Sunan Gunung Jati.

In the year of 1415, the northern coast of Galuh Purwa Kingdom (Pajajaran) of West Java was called as Singapura Nagari (pls not to be misunderstood as Singapore). Situated at Mertasinga Village, near Cirebon now.

Singapura Nagari was ruled by a Mangkubumi (certain official middle rank in that coastal state at that time) named as Ki Gedeng Tapa or Ki Gedeng Jumajan Jati. He was also a harbour administrator (Syahbandar) of Muara Jati, port of Singapura Nagari.

Mangkubumi Ki Gedeng Tapa had a wife, named Nyi Ratna Kranjang, and a beautiful daughter named Nyi Mas Larang Tapa or popularly known as Nyi Mas Subang Larang. This daughter of Ki Gedeng Tapa, had a spiritual (religion) teacher, an Islamic ulema called Syeikh Quro. This Syeikh Quro originated from Champa, (now in Indochine) who built a Pondok Pesantren (Islamic dormitory) in Karawang (West Java, about 100 km west of Cirebon now) in 1416 M. Nyi Mas Subang Larang also got a religion lesson in Islam from Syeikh Dzatul Kahfi – an Islamic ulema from Baghdad, Persia which had built Pondok Pesantren Gunung Jati near the port of Muara Jati at 1420 M.

The beautiful Nyi Mas Subang Larang who had turned to Islam religion, was married to the Hindhu crown Prince of Galuh Purwa Nagari, named Sang Pamanah Rasa or Prabu Dewata Wisesa, or Prabu Jaya Dewata, or Prabu Dewata Prana, or Sri Baduga Maharaja who was then famous with his name, Prabu Siliwangi of Galuh Purwa Nagari (Pajajaran). In an Islamic marriage ceremony in Singapura Nagari.

Prince Pamanah Rasa then went back to Galuh Kaler Nagari and became a Pajajaran king, named as Prabu Siliwangi but turned back to Hindhu – the official religion of Pajajaran kingdom. Nyi Mas Subang Larang was still faithful follower of Islam. Even she educated her two children, Rakean Walangsungsang and the younger sister Nyi Mas Rarasantang in Islamic way in the Pajajaran palace.

When Nyi Mas Subang Larang (Siliwangi’s wife) passed away in 1440, king Siliwangi asked the two children Walangsungsang (20) and Rarasantang (18) to turned to Hindhu or they would loose their right as crown prince and royal family. The two chose to leave the kingdom, and went to their Islamic spiritual teacher Syeikh Quro in Muara Jati (port of Cirebon now).

In Caruban Nagari, Walangsungsang worked hard to build Islamic society among the local people, and built his Istana (palace) named as Pakungwati palace (now still exists, as Keraton Kasepuhan Cirebon). Since 1452, Walangsungsang then called as Panembahan Cakrabuana. And Caruban Nagari then called as Pakungwati Nagara. Built with the financial aid of Syahbandar Ki Gedeng Tapa their teacher who was also Chief Administrator of Muara Jati port.

In Pajajaran, Walangsungsang’s younger brother (from different mother) Rakean Raja Sengara then was named as the new Pajajaran king of Galuh Kaler Nagari instead of Walangsungsang. He was the youngest brother of Walangsungsang…

Sunan Gunung Jati

Who was the famous Cirebon sultan, Sunan Gunung Jati? In the year of 1447, according to this documentation, Prince Walangsungsang and his sister Nyi Mas Rarasantang went to Mekkah, to go for their Haj. Nyi Endang Geulis – Walangsungsang’s wife – not joined them because she was pregnant.

During Haj in Makkah, Saudi Arabia, Nyi Mas Rarasantang met an Arabian named Syeikh Abdullah (22nd line of Prophet Muhammad SAW) from Egypt. After Haj, Walangsungsang and sister stayed for a while in Egypt, for three months. His sister was married to the Egyptian, and was named as Hajjah Syarifah Muda’im. Hajjah Syarifah or Nyi Mas Rarasantang promised to send his child to Jawa someday, and she stayed in Egypt.

From Egypt, Rakean Walangsungsang then went to Baghdad in Persia, and then Champa in Indochine to learn more on Islam before went back to Jawa. And in the mean time, on 1448 when his sister Nyi Mas Rarasantang was in advaced stage of pregnancy, she went Haj to Makkah again with her Egyptian husband Syeikh Abdullah. Their first son was born in Makkah, Saudi Arabia and he was named as Syarif Hidayat (the then Sunan Gunung Jati).

In the age of 18 years in 1466, Syarif Hidayat went for Haj to Makkah, and then learn Tauhid knowledge and Islam in Madinah (Arab), Baghdad (Persia) and asked permission to go to Jawa to teach Islam in Jawa. He went to Yunan (southern China now) to teach Islam, and met a Ming dynasty princess Ong Tin Nio (some years later, Ong Tin Nio came to Jawa to marry Syarif Hidayat – then Sunan Gunung Jati).

When Syarif Hidayat arrived in Jawa in 1479 M, Rakean Walangsungsang or Panembahan Cakrabuana -- his uncle -- handed his rule on Caruban Nagari to Syarif Hidayat. And since then, Syarif Hidayat became the Sultan of Caruban Nagari – apart from Pajajaran kingdom of Galuh Kaler Nagari. Panembahan Walangsungsang then became sultan’s adviser with absolute right of power to decide on certain thing in Cirebon sultanate.

Political and moral support came from Persia too. Syarif Abdurrakhman with his 1.200 followers came from Irak and dwelled in Dukuh Panjunan, in Cirebon. Also, support from Islamic king of Demak, Raden Patah (mixed blood of king Majapahit descent and a Champa or Indochinese wife) who built the Islamic Kingdom of Demak in the year 1475 M. Together, they fought against Hindhu Majapahit kingdom, under King Kertabumi or Brawijaya V. Then Majapahit collapsed, as did Hindhu Pajajaran kingdom.

Syarif Hidayat then became one of the nine Islamic wali or regarded as sacred ulemas, “Walisongo”, and then named as Sunan Gunung Jati.

I hope you won't waste your time to read this not-useful thread...

GANJAWULUNG

Last edited by ganjawulung; 22nd June 2009 at 06:36 AM.
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2009, 06:54 AM   #2
A. G. Maisey

I thank you for your comprehensive and immensely erudite response Pak Ganja, and I offer my most humble apologies if I may have appeared to be a little pedantic in respect of primacy of Islamic kingdoms.

I have read and heard a number of different theories in respect of the origins of Sunan Gunung Jati, and the one you provide is as interesting as any I have previously heard.

However, as interesting as your recounting is, there are just a couple of things I would like to raise.

You tell us that Sunan Gunung Jati was 18 years of age in 1466, thus, he was born in 1448.

Sunan Gunung Jati died in 1570.

This made him 122 years old at the time of his death.

Perhaps even more remarkable is the fact that Sunan Gunung Jati (AKA Syarif Hidayat Fatahillah, AKA Faletahan) would have been 78 years of age in 1526 when he was sent by Sultan Trenggana (AKA Tung Ka Lo) as the leader of an expedition against Sunda.

But that which truly astounds me is this:- in 1553 Sunan Gunung Jati married the daughter of Haji Tan Eng Hoat (AKA Maulana Ifdil Hanafi); at the time of his marriage he would have been 105 years of age. In 1570 Sunan Gunung Jati died, and his heir was the son of this marriage, concieved when Sunan Gunung Jati was already well past 100 years of age.Because this son was considered to be too young to rule, Tan Sam Cai, the Treasurer of Cirebon, acted in his stead.

Pak Ganja, I deeply respect the traditions, and traditional histories of Jawa, however, regretfully these histories are often confused and inaccurate, and when subjected to modern historical analytical investigation, they tend to be insupportable.

As items of faith, part of a belief system, they must be honoured, but as accurate representations of the past, they must be questioned.

Similarly in respect of the dates you ascribe to the commencement of the kingdoms of Demak and Cirebon.

Demak did not commence with the building of the Mesjid Agung, and the chronogram on the Lawang Bledheg indicates that the mesjid already existed in 1466, not that it was begun in 1466. However, let us accept that Demak was founded some time in the second half of the 15th century. The fact remains that the Islamic Kingdom of Cirebon was founded with the assistance of Demak, which means it was founded after Demak.

My personal belief is that the figure that we know as Sunan Gunung Jati was very probably at least two people, and that time has collapsed them into a single personage.

As for Nyi Mas Subang Larang, itulah istri aku sendiri Pak. Subangipun istriku larang bwanget!
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2009, 08:41 AM   #3
Amuk Murugul

Hullo everybody,

Hmmm ... very interesting.
There are many versions of 'history'. It is always best to get as close as possible to the original source, thereby cutting out as many of the 'middlemen' as possible. Then one can form a 'truer' opinion.

Just two possibilities to consider:

- Soenan Goenoeng Djati (b. 1448, Egypt) was not the same person as Falatehan (b. 1490, Pasai), but in fact, were -in-laws.

- Sri Badoega Maharadja Ratoe Hadji Di Pakwan Padjadjaran had three children from Padmawati Soebang Larang: Walang Soengsang/Prabhoe Tjakraboeana, Ratoe Rara Santang/Ratna Eling and Radja Sangara/Kian Santang. Rara Santang and Kian Santang went to Mecca and on their return
were afforded the area of Soetji by Walang Soengsang to conduct their religious teaching.

Best,

Tohaan Pakwan
Amuk Murugul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2009, 08:49 AM   #4
A. G. Maisey

Then of course we need to consider the Chinese question.

Scratch below the surface and just about all these early shakers and movers in that area of Jawa were Chinese.

Then there are the Portugese and Chinese records.

And maybe there were a couple of Faletahans --- at least one of whom was Chinese.

But when you get right down to the nitty gritty, the first Sultan of Cirebon is recognised as Gunung Jati, and he is recorded as dead in 1570.

As to when he was born --- well, that's another question, but we cannot question his death:- the evidence is right there.

Who was Gunung Jati?

Well, I'm no professor of history, I just repeat what professors of history write, and if you read the ones who have researched in this area, they all seem to have varying opinions.

The simple fact of the matter is that the history of Jawa in many respects is exceedingly muddled. One believes what one will, and it is perhaps best to treat these beliefs as if they were religious ones, and not engage in debate.
Old 23rd June 2009, 04:49 PM   #5
ganjawulung

Default Fatahillah/Faletehan and Sunan Gunungjati

Identity and activities of Sunan Gunungjati, according to Australian historian MC Ricklefs, many parts of them known from semi-tales and many of uncertainties. (A History of Modern Indonesia Since c. 1200, Palgrave 1981, Third Edition 2001)

According to Ricklefs, Tagaril or Faletehan (Portuguese version) or probably known too as Fadhillah Khan or Fatahillah, often confused with Gunungjati in some stories. One text called "Purwaka Caruban Nagari" (as quoted by Ricklefs) had differed between Gunungjati and Fadhillah. This text, according to Ricklefs, was made in the year of 1720 -- although the originality is still in question.

Prof Dr Slamet Muljana -- another historian, drew his conclusion that Sunan Gunungjati was also Fatahillah or Faletehan. Prof Muljana even wrote that Sunan Gunungjati or Fatahillah was once an army commander of Demak kingdom, an Islam chinese commander named Toh A Bo... (Runtuhnya Kerajaan Hindu-Jawa dan Timbulnya Negara-negara Islam di Nusantara -- The Fall of Javanese Hindu Kingdom and the Rise of Islam States in Nusantara, 1969 reprinted LKiS 2005).

Yes, Prof Muljana did mention in this book that the ageing first Sultan of Cirebon married to a daughter of Haji Tan Eng Hoat as if she was coming from Tiongkok (Chinese) emperor from Ming Dynasty...

Still in question. Who was really Sunan Gunungjati?

GANJAWULUNG

Last edited by ganjawulung; 23rd June 2009 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Mispelled word
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 01:11 AM   #6
A. G. Maisey

And there Pak Ganja, you have identified our problems beautifully.

Gather together any number of academics with expertise in early Javanese history, and you will probably finish up with more than one opinion from each academic in respect of any question.

The whole fabric of history, not just Javanese history, is riddled with doubt.

As they say:- victors write the history books.

Then there is the input from popular belief, legend and myth.

Look at current era history:- we even have multiple versions of events that occurred within the last year. Go back 50 years and who knows what really happened? Go back to the 15th century? Good luck!!

My position in respect of early Javanese history is that all the stories are interesting, many probably have a kernel of truth, but none should be accepted as absolute, iron clad fact. However, if we look at all the versions, we can usually get a feel for the overall situation of the society at that time, and that is where history is useful.