Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st August 2024, 05:19 PM   #1
drac2k

Default Massive Hewer ?

I recently acquired this massive, what I believed to be a hunting hewer. The blade measures 20.5" long, 2 & 7/8" at its widest & 1/2" thick at the base of the blade. It has a sharpened edge 11" down on the backside. The heavy iron guard measures 6.5" across and the yataghan style bone handle measures 5.25" long.
It has an etched inscription on both sides, which if translated would be deeply appreciated.
Attached Images

drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2024, 08:30 PM   #2
Akanthus

I would read :
Ohne Ursach zieh mich nicht heraus
Wenn aber geht die Not an Mann
So brauch mich wer mich brauchen kann
Very free translation :
Don't pull me out without cause
But when is distress to man
so can use me whoever needs me.
The hole weapon looks like a german hunting weapon of the 18th.century .A very massive "Praxe" ,used for gutting animals or cutting branches.Unusual is the yagatan shaped grip and the rather simple guard.Also the letters and the shape of the blade are unusal for the 18th.century.But there are many variations especially in the end of the 18th.and the beginning of the 19th.century.Often you find flashbacks to former times.
Akanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2024, 11:08 PM   #3
drac2k

Thank you so much!!
Old 1st August 2024, 11:59 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akanthus View Post
I would read :
Ohne Ursach zieh mich nicht heraus
Wenn aber geht die Not an Mann
So brauch mich wer mich brauchen kann
Very free translation :
Don't pull me out without cause
But when is distress to man
so can use me whoever needs me.
The hole weapon looks like a german hunting weapon of the 18th.century .A very massive "Praxe" ,used for gutting animals or cutting branches.Unusual is the yagatan shaped grip and the rather simple guard.Also the letters and the shape of the blade are unusal for the 18th.century.But there are many variations especially in the end of the 18th.and the beginning of the 19th.century.Often you find flashbacks to former times.

Beautifully assessed! and thank you for this most telling inscription!
In this wording, much in the manner of often elaborate and notable blade decoration on hunting weapons of the 18th c. in Europe, seems to paraphrase the well known "Spanish motto". This was the popular wording on Spanish blades of mid 18th c. into 19th using (in Spanish), "Draw Me Not Without Reason, Nor Sheathe Me Without Honor".

This phrase, while later applied to blades made in degree in Toledo, was apparently used on dragoon blades for the Spanish colonies in America around 1760s, and was found sometimes on French blades of the time (in French of course).

It seems that in mid 18th century in Austria, by virtue of the 'exotic' pandour forces serving with the Austro-Hungarian forces inspired often interesting European versions of Ottoman type affectations...in this case CLEFT grip pommels. These kinds of features were of course known on transcaucasian weapons as well as Caucasian shashkas.

Here is an example of a yataghan type saber with hirshfanger style hilt, the blade with monogram of Carl Theodor of Austria (c.1742-1777).
The pandour forces often used Ottoman yataghans and similarly styled European versions.

It is this convention I think may be at hand here with the hilt, and as well noted, carried forth into end of 18th into 19th even with hunting weapons while in vogue with the gentry and persons of high station.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 2nd August 2024 at 12:13 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2024, 02:23 AM   #5
drac2k

Thanks, Jim for your additional insightful comments.
Old 2nd August 2024, 03:29 AM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drac2k View Post
Thanks, Jim for your additional insightful comments.
My pleasure Drac!! This really is a great example, pretty rare IMO.
Trying to find similar in Wagner, Wallace etc.
Old 2nd August 2024, 07:27 PM   #7
drac2k

Jim,do you think that because of its size and heavy guard, we can lean more towards it being a Pandour sword rather than a Waidpraxe? The late 18th to early 19th Century would fall into the proper timeline.
Old 3rd August 2024, 04:42 AM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thanks for asking Drac. Its entirely possible in degree that it might have belonged to the auxiliary units in the third quarter 18th c. and into the Napoleonic period in Europe which were modeled on the pandour concept.

These irregular forces were assembled in European armies to operate independently of line regiments in reconnaissance, skirmishing, etc. and followed loosely the pandur conventions of oriental style dress, and weaponry.

The pandours were irregular units made up mostly of Balkan border guards from Croatia and other Balkan states along with Hungarian forces who fought in the War of Austrian Succession for Maria Theresa. While effective for a time assisting Austro-Hungarian forces, their fearsome depredations became so outlandish the pandur forces were disbanded, and their founder and commander Baron Franz von Trenck was imprisoned.

However, their notorious reputation became well known, and as noted, other European countries formed similar units such as the Freikorps.
The pandur theme became popular and images of pandur soldiers and Vivat Pandur inscriptions began to appear on various edged weapons, most notably plug bayonets and hunting weapons.

As these units were charged also with foraging and of course hunting, of course this could well be deemed of the 'exotic' type weaponry used by these type forces. I would point out that the pandur forces were not only cavalry but guerrilla type foot forces, so this type sidearm would be possibly of a form used.
Its a fascinating piece, and highly plausible it could be of that context.
Old 3rd August 2024, 11:49 AM   #9
drac2k

Thanks Jim; if only these things could talk..............well maybe it is better that they can't, lol.